Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just changed the oil pan gasket on my 2005 Taurus with a 3.0 liter OHV Vulcan engine. I found I was able to drop the pan without removing the exhaust system but it was very difficult to get the pan back into position with a new gasket. I was able to remove the two bolts from the rear exhaust manifold and loosen the two cap screws on the front exhaust manifold. These were not very rusty. The exhaust pipe and rear catalytic converter sagged by about an inch so it was then possible to put the new gasket and pan back on. We had also tried to remove the oxygen sensor down stream of the rear catalytic convertor to gain clearance, but it was seized and even heating the area with an acetylene torch would not break it free. After replacing the gasket I had a friend push up on the exhaust while I inserted and made up the bolts for the flange on the rear exhaust manifold. The rest of the bolts at the joints under the car were too rusted to even contemplate removing them.

When looking at the flange of the rear exhaust manifold and you will notice you can reach both bolt heads with a 3/8 inch ratchet and socket. 😃

1 - 2 of 2 Posts