Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, back when I hepled my roommate pick this car out since he doens't know much about cars we noticed that the DRL's would come on when first started (usually when not started for a few hours, or for the first time of the day) then strangely shut off after a few minutes. he basically said the hell with 'em so I pulled the fuse. Well, after correcting the recent misfire issue by putting new plugs in I thought hey give them another try after I pulled the neg cable to clear the SES light. Well, low anf behold the DRL"s now work fine. Any idea out there why?

Also, applying the parking brake does not shut them off, IIRC it's supposed to.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Maybe it cleared something and fixed it? Sometimes weird but good results happen when power cycling the car.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Probably just coincidence. And not all cars shut off the DRL's with the parking brake on - mine doesn't.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
OK, back when I hepled my roommate pick this car out since he doens't know much about cars we noticed that the DRL's would come on when first started (usually when not started for a few hours, or for the first time of the day) then strangely shut off after a few minutes. he basically said the hell with 'em so I pulled the fuse. Well, after correcting the recent misfire issue by putting new plugs in I thought hey give them another try after I pulled the neg cable to clear the SES light. Well, low anf behold the DRL"s now work fine. Any idea out there why?

Also, applying the parking brake does not shut them off, IIRC it's supposed to.
[/b]
Not on a 97... Newer cars do yes. I hate to burst your bubble but don't get used to them working... The modules are very finicky and work sporadically... Sometimes they will stay on for long periods of time, sometimes they will flicker on and off, and sometimes they will stay off for long periods of time... Ford used very crappy DRL modules for a loooooong time.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, that's what it used to do, flicker a little then shut off. No biggie if they stop working again, they're not required in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Yep, that's what it used to do, flicker a little then shut off. No biggie if they stop working again, they're not required in the U.S.
[/b]
You don't want your lights flickering while you drive down the street do you!

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Me, I just flip a switch when I want lights. Many times I drive with lights on. Don't see what is so great about DRL's. Just another thing (And as proven) to go wrong :p

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Me, I just flip a switch when I want lights. Many times I drive with lights on. Don't see what is so great about DRL's. Just another thing (And as proven) to go wrong :p
[/b]
you can be seen at >1 mile with them on as opposed to 0.5 Miles with parking lights and 0.2 with no lights.

Learned that in drivers ed.

Lights on for safety!

Ninja edit :ph34r: :

Fact: I almost backed into a lady out my driveway because she didn't have her headlights on in an overcast sky. If her lights were on, i would have seen her.

Fact: Distance registering is better during the dusk and dawn hours when a vehicle's headlamps are on.

Fact: Truck drivers when checking their mirrors see vehicles with their lights on easier.

And thats about it.

But alot of people are dumbasses around here and drive with their lights off when they should be on (fog, rain, heavy rain, pouring rain, Driving rain....the list goes on...)

Fact: I almost slammed into a car at 35 MPH because it was doing 10 in a 55 with its lights off in driving rain.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Fact: Learn defensive driving........
[/b]
been there, done that, bought the t-shirt and wore it out. :p

took classes for that and advanced driving techniques. :x:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
The Effectiveness of DRLs by the NHTSA:
http://www.motorists.org/drl/drlstudy08.pdf

Summary: They aren't effective.
[/b]
Do you believe everything from the US government? Like when the Bush admin doctored those EPA reports to say global warming didn't exist and how the FDA says that chemical in water bottles is safe eventho every other country in the world says it isnt?

I don't really care what the NHTSA says or people that live in places where DRLs AREN'T the norm. As a driver where DRLs were mandated 2 decades ago, I can tell you that they DO make a difference in visibility, whether or not they prevents accidents that would happen regardless is a totally different matter... Remember, DRLs aren't just for other motorists, they are primarily for pedestrians and bicyclists...

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Lights are nice... When it is cloudy or dusk out...

Lights are pointless, when the sun is shining harder than hell. That's just my take on it, I don't wanna waste my bulbs when I don't have to.

I had drivers ed trying to tell me the same propaganda too btw.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts

Lights are pointless, when the sun is shining harder than hell. That's just my take on it, I don't wanna waste my bulbs when I don't have to.

[/b]
I only like DRL's cause it keeps idiots from leaving their lights off when they should be on... :glare:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I've gotten into the DRL argument way too many times on car forums... Those urls are just some critiques of the methodology that some of the authors of studies used... So what? I'm sure I can go find a million studies that advocate the use of DRLs since, you know, European governments ratified laws to make DRLs required and they are now an international standard there... Ditto for the Canadian government and I'm sure a handful of other countries outside of these regions... With conspiracy theories (such as "DRLs are evil") you have to look at motivations... Who would benefit from governments making DRLs standards on cars? No one. What possible adverse motivations would anyone have for getting DRLs mandated on cars? I can't think of any... What is the motivation for the majority of motorcycle manufacturers offering DRLs standard (and even some which the headlights/parking lights are ALWAYS on) on their bikes even without government intervention? Hmmm, maybe safety?

I don't want anymore studies or statistics to which I could find 10 opposing sources... All I would like is for you to tell me why you dislike DRLs. What possible "evil" reason would all of these governments have for mandating DRLs? The best conspiracy theories have plausible motives and yet I can think of none for DRLs.

The best study would be a survey of Canadian and European drivers in which they were asked: "In your own experience, do you believe DRLs enhance the visiblity of vehicles?" I can tell you that in Canada there is no public outrage against DRLs. At first, I will admit that people were skeptical, but after a while it became a non issue as people realized that they DO make cars more visible. It's like with seatbelts or airbags, at first people thought that they actually made cars LESS safe, but eventually everyone realized that they do provide a benefit... Most of the studies that I have seen, don't dispute that DRLs do make cars more vehicles, but rather, that they eat up gas, or that they burn out bulbs quicker, or that they blind drivers in the daytime... All I know, however, is that DRLs DO make cars more visible; some people just don't think that makes them a valuable safety device...

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Honestly, is hating DRLs that big of an issue? Fine...

Did you even read the study? It makes motorcycles less visible and puts the bikers at risk. It causes a masking effect that hides vehicles w/o DRLs as well. Sure it makes the DRL-equipped car more visible, I'm not disputing that, but there are other things that can make a car more visible like a bright orange paint job.

Also, given the low IQ of some drivers, it fools them into thinking the car has automatic headlights. I've seen people driving around with just DRLs on at night. And then you already mentioned it shortening bulb life (as seen on various GM models) and wasting gas and adding to the final cost of the car.

Personally I'm in favor of road signs. We have several stretch of highways around here that say "Turn on headlights for the next 30 miles" because the roads are two-lane blacktops that do not have a median. It gives people the choice. Most people do comply with it.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
mmmfloorpie, while you are entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else here, there's no need to get defensive about DRLs and type up a book about.

And that has nothing to do with the original poster's DRLs being flakey...

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
I only like DRL's cause it keeps idiots from leaving their lights off when they should be on... :glare:
[/b][/quote]
Not always - i see a lot of ppl driving down the road at night with no lights on except for the DRL's.. apparently the fact that the instrument panel is dark isn't enough of a clue to them....

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
mmmfloorpie, while you are entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else here, there's no need to get defensive about DRLs and type up a book about.

And that has nothing to do with the original poster's DRLs being flakey...
[/b]
I'm not the one that flamed DRLs and started the whole conversation if you will notice...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts