Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I have a 1999 Mercury Sable LS with a Vulcan V6 engine. I purchased the car used in 2007, and i haven't touched this problem until now. All cars bound to Canada after 1990 (or near there), were supposed to have DRL's. Correct? Well my car is a 1999, and the DRL's don't work. The headlamps only come on if i turn the switch to headlamp mode. My other car is a 1998 Mystique, and the DRL's are on with headlamp switch in off position. If it matters to anyone, a remote starter is installed. Maybe that has something to do with the lamp setup. I have no idea if there even is any DRL's supposed to be coming on for this car because it has the Vulcan, or because of something else. Any help would be appreciated as to finding the cause.. If there is one.

Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
You should enjoy this

I had the same thing happen to my 99 Taurus Wagon up here in Sask. Unfortunately it is the DRL module that has gone. HOwever, you should enjoy this. We replaced ours and now I can never just put the park lights on when it's dusk. The stupid headlights are on a "reduced" power all the time. There is so little difference between reduced power and full power that it makes me sick. They might as well have simply put no switch at all for the lights on these cars and just had a high beam switch. I say enjoy not having DRL's. The car looks way cooler in pictures and at dusk/dawn when you can drive with just the park lights on. IF you do want to replace the module the best place to look is a salvage yard. It is a plug and play kind of module from what I can remember. Expensive from ford but cheap from a wreck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I had the same thing happen to my 99 Taurus Wagon up here in Sask. Unfortunately it is the DRL module that has gone. HOwever, you should enjoy this. We replaced ours and now I can never just put the park lights on when it's dusk. The stupid headlights are on a "reduced" power all the time. There is so little difference between reduced power and full power that it makes me sick. They might as well have simply put no switch at all for the lights on these cars and just had a high beam switch. I say enjoy not having DRL's. The car looks way cooler in pictures and at dusk/dawn when you can drive with just the park lights on. IF you do want to replace the module the best place to look is a salvage yard. It is a plug and play kind of module from what I can remember. Expensive from ford but cheap from a wreck.
Well thanks for the quick reply. So there is in fact a DRL module on these cars. I might look online for a used one, or just go to a salvage yard. How did you go about changing yours? I just finished reading another thread on this, and one guy said to remove the front bumper assembly to get at it. Sounds like a lot of work just to change one part. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
They are all garbage. If you get a used one, chances are it will be faulty too. My car has already had 2 modules and the lights are starting to flicker again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts