Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

2001 Taurus SE Vulcan 105,000 miles. Just changed oil and cleaned out throttle body and maf sensor. As far as I can tell the car is in great shape.

I will be driving from Fargo, ND to Chicago and back, over the course of 3 days. I will make a straight 10 hour drive there, and a split drive stopping in the cities on the way back. Is there any real problem with driving a car for 10 hours? I haven't ever had any problems driving for a few hours (I intend to stop and take breaks every couple or so hours), but I just want to make sure.

Any advice appreciated!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
You should be just fine. You seem to keep the car up to date maintenance wise based on reading your previous posts. Do you have AAA?

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
If you drive it 10 hours straight and keep the speed under 70, don't be surprised if the vulcan gets into the 30mpg+ range :)

I drive mine for 12 hours straight once. Never ran better.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I've made 7 tp 10 hour trips alot with both a 99 vulcan and a 03 duratec, no problmes with either. Just as long as your maint. is all up to date, enjoy the ride. I also agree with keeping it at or under 70 and your going to get great MPG's. With the route your going, mostly flat lands, you should do great on the gas. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sweet!!! thanks for the info, and the compliments! I'll have to let you all know how it goes. One of my friends drove his pickup cross-country non-stop once (he used to be a long-haul trucker), he just told me to keep an eye on the temp gauge, just to make sure.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I drove from Illinois to Massachusetts last fall non stop, except for gas and food. It took about 15 hours. 75 mph the whole way.

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
My trips were all to the south. From Cleveland to Jacksonville N.C. (10 hours) or Cleveland to Bristol Tenn.( 7 hours) and through the W.Va. mountains also. The 3.0 runs great on the open road, set the cruise and enjoy the ride. My best 2 of these trips were Cleveland to Jacksonville N.C. and back in 26 hours( 99 vulcan) and Cleveland to Bristol Tenn in 23 hours (03 duratec). Both trips included visits and short stop overs and the cars ran perfect each time.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
QUOTE (DLC360 @ Mar 7 2009, 03:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=706394
My trips were all to the south. From Cleveland to Jacksonville N.C. (10 hours) or Cleveland to Bristol Tenn.( 7 hours) and through the W.Va. mountains also. The 3.0 runs great on the open road, set the cruise and enjoy the ride. My best 2 of these trips were Cleveland to Jacksonville N.C. and back in 26 hours( 99 vulcan) and Cleveland to Bristol Tenn in 23 hours (03 duratec). Both trips included visits and short stop overs and the cars ran perfect each time.[/b]
I have to stop every hour or so to get up and stretch ... otherwise I'm not walking when I stop.

·
Premium Member
8,863 Posts
You should be just fine. I like to check the oil periodically just to be obsessive. Keep an eye on the temp gauge and make sure you bring extra washer fluid in case you get into any messy conditions.

I drove my 01 Vulcan on MANY long trips... many people here can vouch for that ;) and it never let me down. B)

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:werd: on the stopping and resting...I've been told that the speed limit in Wisconsin is 65, and I am absolutely not to go 1mph over, or I will get pulled over...for some reason the troopers are going nuts there (I give total respect to troopers and the job they do, though).

I already have people warning me about carjackings and what not...I've been looking for a reason to get into a new Taurus, or try my new Springfield XD out.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Troopers like to target out of state cars because there is a serious issue with people coming from mainly Illinois driving like dumbasses. Not saying all are bad but some drive like they own the road.

Before they cracked down on I-41, you would be at risk at getting run off the road if you weren't doing at LEAST 75.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
No problems driving the car for long periods. Shortly after I bought my '99 in '00, I and 3 other friends piled into the car with all our gear and drove non-stop from Austin, TX to Berkeley, CA. 24 hours with the cruise control set at 112mph on long stretches of I-10. Just stopped for gas, food, and bathroom breaks. In '05, my g/f and I took turns driving non stop 24 hours from Austin, TX to South Haven, MI for ROTB. Did the same thing on the return trip. Then I did it again by myself for ROTB2K8. Only stopped for gas, food, and the occasional cat nap at road side rest areas.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I would suggest, try to get into Chicago around nighttime (9 PM to about 4 AM). Traffic during the day is horrible. Each time I went on trips, I would leave at night here in IL, and when I was going back to IL, I would leave during the day, so I'd get back at night and miss all the traffic here.

Also, good idea to keep easy to eat snacks with you, like pretzels or cookies. And caffeine :)

Some good tunes are also needed. Other than that, drive safely :)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Yes Chicago traffic sucks. If you are driving on any toll roads get an Easy Pass too. In Illinois you don't have to stop at the toll booths and the tolls are half what cash is. You can use the Easy Pass too all over the country. Doesn't cost anything but an initial deposit.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
QUOTE (jason8225 @ Mar 7 2009, 08:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=706459
You should be just fine. I like to check the oil periodically just to be obsessive. Keep an eye on the temp gauge and make sure you bring extra washer fluid in case you get into any messy conditions.

I drove my 01 Vulcan on MANY long trips... many people here can vouch for that ;) and it never let me down. B)[/b]
Trans fluid too. For some reason, if I drive 1000 miles on the highway, I'm missing a quart of transmission fluid. It leaks out by the halfshafts during high speed for some reason.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey everyone, I SURVIVED CHICAGO!!!!1111oneone

The car held up perfectly, I got 30mpg going there going 70 or so mph. The city was awesome, and so were the people. Thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol you've never been to Fargo

1 - 20 of 27 Posts