Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving for the sound of it...

I have come to realize something about the way I drive. I think it started in high-school once I learned the trick of turning over the air-cleaner cover to get a meaner sound out of the carb. I tend to drive/rev harder than I need at times just so I can hear something from the car - or more precisely, so others can hear something from my car!

This does not mean I always drive all cars hard and fast... I have a 97 Suburban that has a very nice low-tone harmonic just cruising around at 20-30 MPH. It actually quiets down going faster and doesn't speak to me unless I step on it. Stock exhaust - I really don't want a loud flowmastered truck.

My old ('95 GL Vulcan) Taurus never made any sound - so I never "drove for the sound"; but now that I joined TCCA and removed my silencer on my '01 Tec - I am driving for the sound again.

I think I need to get some nice exhaust on the car so I can get my sound without pushing the car unnecessarily. I'd be perfectly happy if I can get a nice tone just cruising around. Current plan (once I get "spare" money - ha!) is dual 50-delta flowmasters with a 2.5" to dual 2" y-adapter at/near the rear tires. Maybe I should settle for a single 50-delta flowmaster on the stock 2.5" pipe and be done with it!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I removed the silencer this weekend. The car has slightly deeper, pleasing tone. I don't see how air got through the silencer. Can anyone explain?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts