Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Group,

I've been driving a Gen III, 1998 Sable LS, for the past few days while my Gen IV is being serviced. Two things I noticed for the better about the Gen III: 1) the tranny is very responsive, and will unlock the torque converter as soon as you touch the throttle at highway speeds; my Gen IV stays "trapped" with the torque converter locked until I really floor the pedal and at this point it downshifts to third. 2) the steering is awesome!!! It has tons of assistance at parking lot speeds, and on the highway it is very tight, with little assistance.

I love how the climate and audio is angled at me, the driver. I also like how I can adjust the auto lamps to stay on at night... on my Gen IV, they are set for a 12 second delay. The headliner is of higher quality, and so are the leather seats.

I thought I share my observations ;-)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Is it a Gen3 Vulcan or Duratec?

My G3 Duratec torque converter stays locked. It doesn't unlock right away. However, it doesn't require me to push it really far. I have learned when it will unlock. It accelerates at freeway speeds as fast when it's in 4th gear lock as it does 4th gear unlocked.

You are driving a 98'. It has all of the steering goodies and a rear sway bar. Those of us with later 99's got screwed out of that good stuff so I couldn't tell you how it feels.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
I have noticed that gen3's do seem to have higher quality interior materials than gen4s. I just can't get over the styling differences however, I think gen4's look much better IMO, especially on the outside of the car.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by NateNBeckie@Jun 2 2004, 12:23 PM
Is it a Gen3 Vulcan or Duratec?
If it's a 98 Sable LS then it should have the Duratec. At least i know my 98 Sable LS has the Duratec..

edited for spelling

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hmmm...Let's see if I can put this into words.

Let's say you are in 2nd gear, when you step on the gas a little the RPMs raise (sounds like a clutch slipping). It will do the same in 3rd and 4th gear. When it's locked, say in 4th gear at 60 MPH, you give it just a little gas to accelerate to 65, the RPMs don't raise except for as your speed increases. If you were at 60 and you gave it enough gas, it would come out of lock. So you would hear the motor rev up some (500 or so RPMs). When you hit 65, the converter will lock back up.

It will do this if you are climbing a steep hill with the cruse on. It will try to maintain the speed up the hill. It will hit a point where it feels it is working too hard while the converter is locked so it will unlock and the RPMs will surge (again about 500) but the speed will remain the same.

When the converter is locked, it's just like a manual transmission. It's just as if the crankshaft was connected to the transmission without a converter in between (no slippage).

Does that make any sense or am I talking boo-boo?

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by golovko@Jun 2 2004, 01:03 PM
I have noticed that gen3's do seem to have higher quality interior materials than gen4s. I just can't get over the styling differences however, I think gen4's look much better IMO, especially on the outside of the car.
I'll agree with you on the front end of the Gen3. I'd much rather have the Gen4 front end then the Gen3 but I definitely like the Gen3 Sable rear end better then the Gen4 (taurus or sable)

I do however disagree on the interior, i'm partial to the interior (layout/design/materials) of the Gen3 over the Gen4. Only thing i'd change would be that damn oval stereo/climate control area. I mean come on, a freaking ****-eyed oval.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would also agree on the G4 front end. When I was buying parts to fix my G3, I was almost tempted to by a G4 front end. It doesn't take much. Two fenders, hood, bumper cover, and headlights. It will bolt right on (at least I am 95% sure).

I like both the G3 and G4 rear ends. (That doesn't sound right). :p

The whole idea of the combined stereo/climate control is a dumb idea. The G3 setup is uglier, but easier to reach and read.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Gen III rental car I have has the Duratec.

When the torque converter engages or disengages, it is just like a gear shift.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I also noticed that when I am in top gear in my Gen IV at 60 mph, the car revs at 2,100 RPM. In this Gen III, top gear RPM at 60 mph is 2,250 RPM.

·
Registered
167 Posts
..and my mustang V6 essex did 60mph @ 1600rpm.

Of course, problem with that is you cannot pass anybody without going back to 3rd gear. I rarely have to go back to 3rd with my G4 Sable.

S

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Postmortem@Jun 2 2004, 06:48 PM
I rarely have to go back to 3rd with my G4 Sable.
In my SHO when I'd want to pass someone .. then speed off. It'll downshift to third, starting at 2-3 car-lengths from them, by the time I get to them I'm already at 90 :D ... Mmmmmm freeway driving.. **drools**

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
The reason the Gen 4 front ends look so good, is they're practically the same as the Gen 3 SHO front bumpers B)

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I think over the years, the looks of the GEN3 has become more mainstream. I drive a 7 year old car (or 8 model year), but you wouldn't notice it.

A GEN3 that is in good condition, in my opinion, would look newer by today's standards. Lets take Lumina as an example.. That car screams OLD. The only bad thing is GEN3s are getting older and people are being less then kind with them. I can't tell you how many times I see beat up GEN3s and feel sorry about it.

Oh well, I hope to keep my GEN3 for a long time yet. As it gets older, it gets better and better! :banana:

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
And i'll third that. As much work as have done and still plan to do with it i hope to keep it as long as is practically possible. :D

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Originally posted by NateNBeckie@Jun 2 2004, 01:15 PM
The whole idea of the combined stereo/climate control is a dumb idea. The G3 setup is uglier, but easier to reach and read.
Yes it is. Fortunately we don't drive GM cars where everything is integrated into the stereo unit. I've heard of several people having to keep the oem stereo in their car after an aftermarket one was installed in order for the car to run...anti theft was problem i believe.

·
Premium Member
1,288 Posts
Originally posted by golovko@Jun 2 2004, 01:03 PM
I think gen4's look much better IMO, especially on the outside of the car.
Word. I just can't stand that jelly bean droppy butt styling. :thumbdown:
I personally am also somewhat aggravated by the torque converter staying "stuck" and have also learned how soon it will unlock. And too many ovals on the Gen 3. Some people would say the ovals on the front and back are bad enough, but we all know they are the crazy ones.

-mobiuslogic

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Originally posted by golovko@Jun 2 2004, 12:03 PM
We will have to agree to disagree on this issue. I have a 99 and 00 and to me there is no comparison in Styling ,Engineering and Quality.

Mike

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Originally posted by NateNBeckie
Hmmm...Let's see if I can put this into words.

Let's say you are in 2nd gear, when you step on the gas a little the RPMs raise (sounds like a clutch slipping). It will do the same in 3rd and 4th gear. When it's locked, say in 4th gear at 60 MPH, you give it just a little gas to accelerate to 65, the RPMs don't raise except for as your speed increases. If you were at 60 and you gave it enough gas, it would come out of lock. So you would hear the motor rev up some (500 or so RPMs). When you hit 65, the converter will lock back up.

It will do this if you are climbing a steep hill with the cruse on. It will try to maintain the speed up the hill. It will hit a point where it feels it is working too hard while the converter is locked so it will unlock and the RPMs will surge (again about 500) but the speed will remain the same.

When the converter is locked, it's just like a manual transmission. It's just as if the crankshaft was connected to the transmission without a converter in between (no slippage).

Does that make any sense or am I talking boo-boo?

I know.. old post. Was searching for something else when I found this.

I was wondering the other day why in 3rd when accelerating from a light, the RPM will get to a point then drop (while still accelerating) and raise again with speed. It always has done this.. RPM will drop a little while speed still increases.
Reading this post makes me think it is the torque converter locking. Is this correct? If so, one less thing to wonder about. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts