Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The passanger side drive shaft is wobbleing as it leaves the tans. It looks like about 3/8 of movement. does any one have a parts diagram. I am woundering if the bearing at the end of the case can be replaced.

Can someone check to see if there is play with yours?

thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Not Good

The Passenger Side shaft is held into the Output Portion of the Trans-axle by
a Circlip that fits into a Groove machined into the Splined Shaft.
When you Push the Half-Shaft (on the inner C.V. can) into the Transaxle you should FEEL/HEAR the Circlip "Click" as it "Mates" with the Inner Groove machined into the Output Bearing FEMALE Splined portion of the Tran-Axle.

Best possible outcome for you...the Circlip has worn allowing the Half Shaft
to "Back Out" (Partially) of the "Drive" portion of the Bearing setup.
(New Circlip and Lots of Your TLC labor.)
Or somehow there's been enough "Slack" between the Hub and the Tranny
to allow the Half Shaft to "Back Out".
Try pushing your Half Shaft back into the Tranny Bearing/Receiver.
DO NOT BANG ON ANY PORTION OF THE DRIVELINE!!!

['Been "Stump Jumping" or Live in an Area with Outrageous Pot Holes?]

If the "Wobble" is the Receiver/Bearing portion of the Tranny ,Mucho more
Difficile.
'Anything on these beasts can be replaced...
Costs and Angst are an entirely different matter.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
A visual inspection between the CV axle and output shaft would be best. From my experience the CV axle is the weaker link of the two because the CV joint depends upon the boot to keep them clean and lubricated. And between the driver's and passenger side CV axle, passenger axle is most likely to go first because it is on the "dirtier" side of the road. However it can fail mechanically inside the boot as well.

A worn CV axle can cause shimmy between the steering wheel and tires. A good front end mechanic should catch this but many don't. And a worn CV axle will cost you in performance and handling.

If the axle is old inspect the CV boots for wear and cracks. Boot life depends on the climate you drive in as well. More extreme climates will most likely have more premature wear with boots.

Monsoon

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I am rebuilding the front end, LCA, Quick struts, Ball joints and passenger side drive shaft.

I though the wobble on the old shaft was from the CV joints and didn't notice the inner hub moving at the trans. The new Drive shaft has the same wobble. So I think the problem is with the trans, FML.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts