Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Ford SES Taurus

When I press the window up or down (drivers side only) it may or may not do it, depending on it's mood. :p Slow intermittent cycle, it might not work for 5 minutes or several hours, then when it works again it generally will stay working for at least 30 mins or more, then it might konk out again for 5-200 mins. (sometimes with the window down, when it's about to rain, which is real inconvenient)

Could this be a failing relay, or would it have to be something else? (if just a relay where is the relay) Since now of course it's working fine (making me a liar) I couldn't re-check, but i'm pretty sure I hear a click when it WONT work and it just doesn't do anything. A click but no sign of power drain. (the window isnt stuck, the lights dont dim or anything like if I use the other windows)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Several possibilities here: cracked / broken wire at door jamb loop, dirty switch, loose or dirty connector at window motor.
First, when it is not working, try opening door fulley while pressing switch. If it seems to work at certain door positions, a broken wire is the culpret.
Next, remove door trim panel and check connector at switch for looseness or corrosion. Rainwater on switch is common cause.
Check connector at window motor for same things. I have "fixed" several window problems just by unplugging connectors and plugging back in several times.

·
Registered
9,635 Posts
Several possibilities here: cracked / broken wire at door jamb loop, dirty switch, loose or dirty connector at window motor.
First, when it is not working, try opening door fulley while pressing switch. If it seems to work at certain door positions, a broken wire is the culpret.
Next, remove door trim panel and check connector at switch for looseness or corrosion. Rainwater on switch is common cause.
Check connector at window motor for same things. I have "fixed" several window problems just by unplugging connectors and plugging back in several times.
Any issue with electric, that passes through the driver's door needs to first be checking the accordion wires as in the pic. Done 2 of my 3. Cut the zip tie and peal back the accordion and inspect.

-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey Taurus owners....

I just checked out YouTube and most of the videos are replacing the master switch on the drivers side door. Yes, one of the video posters did say check the door wire loom going into the door but once he got the door skin off he by-passed the switch and the problem windows (the back 2) worked by hot wiring them. He put a new master switch in and everything came together. I followed 2 more videos and the same thing - Master window switch assembly was replaced and all is well. Of course you mileage may vary - Good luck

Youtube

·
Registered
51 Posts
2000 Ford SES Taurus

When I press the window up or down (drivers side only) it may or may not do it, depending on it's mood. :p Slow intermittent cycle, it might not work for 5 minutes or several hours, then when it works again it generally will stay working for at least 30 mins or more, then it might konk out again for 5-200 mins. (sometimes with the window down, when it's about to rain, which is real inconvenient)

Could this be a failing relay, or would it have to be something else? (if just a relay where is the relay) Since now of course it's working fine (making me a liar) I couldn't re-check, but i'm pretty sure I hear a click when it WONT work and it just doesn't do anything. A click but no sign of power drain. (the window isnt stuck, the lights dont dim or anything like if I use the other windows)
Hi - my rear left window was intermittent and I caught this trick on another forum. While holding the down button (or up depending upon the issue) slam the door. If the window starts to work it's the motor. I changed out my master switch, checked the wiring at the driver door, changed out the window switch and finally tried this trick to determine the motor was the issue. Btw - you can actually take out the motor without removing the rivet in the regulator arm - there are holes drilled in the back doors that are actually right in the correct location to remove the 3 bolts holding the motor. Went to the junk yard and found a 2007 and removed the motor- installed fine but I will warn you installing the motor by just removing the bolts and re-installing is all patience. Hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts