Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the class was uneventful but at my appointed drive time to my excitement I was scheduled to drive to complete hour 5 of the 6 required hours in a 1997 Taurus GL, Hour 5 entailed driving on the expressway. When I started the car the ses light was glowing, however the instructor told me to just ignore it as it is most likely just a faulty indicator. My time driving the car went relatively smoothly, I got to the driver change point and me and the other kid swapped places and it was now his turn. He drove just fine until we finally came to a light just off the exit. He then noticed a strange smell. He asked if it was our car, but the instructor said nope but I noticed that the temperature gauge was at the red and still climbing. So he told the kid to try and limp the car to a gas station a couple miles away, while it was pegged beyond the red. The wounded bull was steaming away when he got it to the station. The other student said that the car would not climb above 40-45mph, that it was running rough, and it sounded like the catalytic converter was rattling, side effect or precursor to disaster. The Instructor called the driving school and told them about the car, he put more coolant/water mix into the car, he told the guy who had been driving to fire the car back up. The first couple times it stalled out with no throttle application as it attempted to idle on its own. :eek: Then the rpms dropped and the oil pressure light flickered and off the engine went. He then refired up the engine and depressed the accelerator a few times and it stayed running at about 3/4 temp, Duke our drivers ed instructor asked us to see if the ac worked on max ac with the fans on high, the ac worked when it had not before. Yet 10 min later the temperature skyrocketed up as the coolant leaked out again. Happy 16th B-day to me!!! What a terrible day. :(

·
Registered
549 Posts
Poor bull, probably needed a bypass kit / coolant flush. Sounds like there's probably some permanant damage now, thanks to your instructor's vast and sensible knowledge of what to do when a car overheats. /sarcasm

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by dIESEL600@Jul 21 2004, 05:08 PM
Poor bull, probably needed a bypass kit / coolant flush. Sounds like there's probably some permanant damage now, thanks to your instructor's vast and sensible knowledge of what to do when a car overheats. /sarcasm
He almost was going to just let them come and get the car, but he let them instruct him on checking and adding coolant, it had 109k miles or so on the poor car. I have a feeling that the headgasket has blown now. I chose today for the 5th hour because I wanted to give my self a gift of driving a taurus on the expressway but after my time all hell broke loose not long after. :(

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
What a retard, he's supposed to know what he's doing to be teaching you guys how to drive, yet he tells the kid to keep driving when the engine is overheating?

I don't know how many stories I've hear that there like that "the car was overheating and was way past the red, I thought I'd be able to make it somwhere"

Poor taurus, I feel bad for it.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by 93 Sable@Jul 21 2004, 05:25 PM
What a retard, he's supposed to know what he's doing to be teaching you guys how to drive, yet he tells the kid to keep driving when the engine is overheating?

I don't know how many stories I've hear that there like that "the car was overheating and was way past the red, I thought I'd be able to make it somwhere"

Poor taurus, I feel bad for it.
When the kid got the car stoppedat the station the instructor went over his steps for whe a car is over heating, Just get off the road, your safety is worth more than the car, but he chose the gas station because he thought it would be able to get some water for the car, but that station was kind of far away, it definately had to have caused damage to the engine :(

·
Registered
352 Posts
wanted to give my self a gift of driving a taurus on the expressway but after my time all hell broke loose not long after. 

It was your fault. You did it. you killed the car!!! :D Just kidding.

When I started the car the ses light was glowing, however the instructor told me to just ignore it as it is most likely just a faulty indicator.
Don't worry about that light, They only put them there to break. they never mean anything. stupid. I bet you aren't learning to drive worth a **** either.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by snakeeyes@Jul 21 2004, 06:29 PM
wanted to give my self a gift of driving a taurus on the expressway but after my time all hell broke loose not long after. 

When I started the car the ses light was glowing, however the instructor told me to just ignore it as it is most likely just a faulty indicator.
Don't worry about that light, They only put them there to break. they never mean anything. stupid. I bet you aren't learning to drive worth a **** either.
um.... what is this, are you insulting me? I can drive ok, just need more practice :D ... The guy seemed like he didn't really care about the car anyway

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Bummer bout the drivers ed car. I got an 03 Malibu with two steering wheels, pedals, and brake peadals and he never took control once. I really didnt learn much for that $250 buck drivers ed course...I learned everything from just going out there and driving with my granddad and my mom. Good luck to you and happy birthday. :)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Originally posted by 2FST4U2C+Jul 21 2004, 07:54 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2FST4U2C @ Jul 21 2004, 07:54 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-snakeeyes@Jul 21 2004, 06:29 PM

um.... what is this, are you insulting me? I can drive ok, just need more practice :D ... The guy seemed like he didn't really care about the car anyway [/b][/quote]
no, what he meant is, you have a ****** driving school.

·
Registered
663 Posts
My girlfriend had 1 hour and 20 minutes of driving practice before she took her driving exam and passed it. 20 minutes driving with her dad and 1 hour with an instructor.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Capital Punishment+Jul 21 2004, 08:16 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Capital Punishment @ Jul 21 2004, 08:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2004, 07:54 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-snakeeyes
@Jul 21 2004, 06:29 PM

um.... what is this, are you insulting me? I can drive ok, just need more practice :D ... The guy seemed like he didn't really care about the car anyway
no, what he meant is, you have a ****** driving school. [/b][/quote]
This I know, One car had a faulty secondary brake (passenger side for instuctor) (Chevy prizim) , and now the idiot allows us students to drive a car into the ground. If in MI don't go with Courtsey Driving School from Birmingham/utica that comes to local hs buildings ;)

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by 2FST4U2C+Jul 21 2004, 08:43 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (2FST4U2C @ Jul 21 2004, 08:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Capital [email protected] 21 2004, 08:16 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-snakeeyes

no, what he meant is, you have a ****** driving school.
This I know, One car had a faulty secondary brake (passenger side for instuctor) (Chevy prizim) , and now the idiot allows us students to drive a car into the ground. If in MI don't go with Courtsey Driving School from Birmingham/utica that comes to local hs buildings ;) [/b][/quote]
There's your problem right there. You were in MI. Indiana instructors would never do something THAT stooopid.

It could very well have been the coolant resevoir as well. They have a tendancy to crack and leak the excess coolant. I had that problem once, but I caught it before it did any damage.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think that it was the tank as coolant appeared below the driverside pooling below the car near the front of the door. I'm glad that I only have one more class time and one more drive time lol.

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
My god, will you guys stop scaring me? No wonder it's so dangerous on the roads.

I actually had about 12 hours of driving instruction and I thought all those hours were quite valuable as I ended up being exposed to a lot of different driving situations.

End result is that I haven't been at fault in an accident for over 15 years although other drivers have hit me. (Person looked left then right then proceeded to go left out of a gas station without first looking left again. T-boned me as a had just come around a corner and was now in front of him.) Drunk driver, driver running a red light (I actually hit him, but he ran it so late, I already had a head of steam up so to speak).

You should switch driving schools or get more instructions. It always amazes me how penny wise and pound foolish driving instruction is in this country. Of course the flip side is that teenager have something like a 40% chance of being in an accident and unfortunately, a certain percentage of those are fatal.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Back when I was in drivers ed, it was pointless. I got nothing important from it. No tips whatsoever of what to do when some moron who just passed their course pulls out in front of you, no techniques for driving in bad weather or controlling high braking.

Motorcycle riders school was different. I decided to get my motorcycle liscense so I went to a riders course, it was great. They tought us how to do all sorts of important stuff, including panic braking and hard swerving which I feel are important and can save your life.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by HenrySel@Jul 22 2004, 01:06 AM
You should switch driving schools or get more instructions. It always amazes me how penny wise and pound foolish driving instruction is in this country. Of course the flip side is that teenager have something like a 40% chance of being in an accident and unfortunately, a certain percentage of those are fatal.
I will have to have at least 50 hrs with parents before moving to next gdl step, so I will have plenty of practice ahead, the class is just to be able to get the level one learners license/permit, but I agree that more practice is definately necessary ;)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Originally posted by Capital Punishment+Jul 21 2004, 08:16 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Capital Punishment @ Jul 21 2004, 08:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
<!--QuoteBegin-snakeeyes

no, what he meant is, you have a ****** driving school. [/b][/quote]
Yep,thats what I meant. That and your instructor is an asshat.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts