Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an issue with water leaking into the passenger compartment when i go through car washes and when it rains. Its my 1999 Taurus.

The problem is the drivers door.

When i open the drivers side passenger door and the drivers door its clear when i shut the drivers door the seal is not touching the frame like it is on the passenger side front with the passenger side back door opening verifying the seal.

I am not sure what the problem is but it just seems as if the door isn't coming far enough when closed to seal up. The seal seems to be in fair condition for its age but just the gap of maybe an 1/8 inch or so?

Does anyone know about this or if its a common problem? Is it a bolt i need to tighten or has the seal simply lost its thickness due to being opened and closed over the years?

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Can you push the door further in to make it seal after it's latched?

If so, just adjust the striker farther inwards.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
Once the Gen III Taurus here gets back I can look at it to see what it is. If I recall there's two T50 bolts holding the striker on that you loosen just enough to slide it over. If it's anything like a Ranger you'll need something to brace it against the door frame while you tighten the bolts back down.

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
The top of the door leaks? You can bend it in. Or ... that's what I did on mine.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing is bent on the door as far as i can see. Its just the rubber gasket not making enough contact with the body of the car to seal.

Like i said i looked at the passenger side front door and the rubber gasket makes a good contact with the body of the car.

I am assuming this is just normal wear and tear from the door being opened and closed probably a hundred thousand times.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 2002 taurus. Everytime in heavy rain or if I go through car washes water pours in on the driver's side door! Luckily I have leather seats so I'm not sitting in a puddle. But like 901-memphis, my seal is no longer touching the frame and the door seems to be closed all the way. Is there an easy and inexpensive fix for this?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Have either of your cars ever been in an accident?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have either of your cars ever been in an accident?
My car was in an accident I don't know when. I found out when I brought the car in for inspection at the dmv about a month after I bought the car last spring. The guy there told me the driver's side door have a different vin# from the dash. So, apparently, the door have been replaced I had no idea when I bought the car. The woman who sold the car to me never told me this. But the car runs good no major problems with it. I had the wheel aligned and bought all new tires that's all. The door just started leaking, gradually, like maybe a month or so ago not very long and I had the car for little over a year. What do you suggest I do about the leaking door?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Well the reason I ask is because if the drivers door was hit and the door was replaced, there could be unibody damage which would result in the seal not sealing, especially with age when the seal starts to dry rot a little bit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,074 Posts
Check to see if the bolts holding the hinges to the car are tight.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ok actually I have the same exact problem- on my 2001 SE there is a small area where the top right side rubber(?) on the driver's door does not make contact with the body and I have a small leak when going through the car wash. It is barely noticeable but it is still there. I have been thinking on how to fix it, and I did not think you could just push the top side of the door in any more?

My door is definitely replaced god knows when & why, because the inner sticker is removed on the door.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi all!
I'm having the same issue, and from what I can see, I just need to adjust the lower door hinge so the top of the door sits higher, so it will meet firmly with the seal.
The trouble i'm having is figuring how to get to the bolts for the door hinge.
Does anyone know if the door hinges can be adjusted/tightened without taking the front fender off? If not, does anyone know how I go about taking the front fender off??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts