Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Driver seat issues

5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  mcsteven 
#1 ·
A couple questions, I have a 2001 SEL with leather seats;

1. How do I know if there are "side air bags"?

2. The driver seat bottom is falling apart. The leather is all torn and foam is coming out. If I can find a replacement seat, are there any special issues to watch for when replacing it?

#2 · (Edited)
If it is side ab, there will be a "Air Bag" label on the upper side facing out.
I got this one at Pick A Part for $24 while back. Not perfect but very nice AB seat. Bit of a trick to remove from a JY car as you need to use a portable battery and hot wire the motors to move it for and aft to reach the bolts. There are 3 motors so 3 pair of wires that do that. Need the diagram to know which is which. I cut the wires back from the connector, strip, hotwire with my cordless drill battery.

Airbag ones have wires for that, they are yellow connection and have a double latch for security. At least, the '01 and '03 are different in the switch for the brake adjust switch. That is outboard down low and shows in the pic.

-chart-

#3 ·
Check your owners manual and see for the airbags... their is plastic trim around ur seat that snaps in hides bolts etc, if you want to keep your change to yourself id reccomend ccarefully taking your time with an interior trim removal toolkit (plastic, sold at most auto parts shops, trust me its just easier.... and youll get lotsa use from them. Other then that ull b ok. If yyu decide to change your rear seats additionally to match color or eetc, make sure the drop down seats will bolt up n brackets will fit so it stays sshut.i swapped from a jaguar s type, tan leather cuz my friend was parting it out. I couldnt live without the back seat fold down arm rest &headrests.. I only paid 100$ for it. Havent tried to get the dash in but if ur sinkibg $$$ in it make sure your a** sinks in it good 2

#4 ·
No special issues. Just make sure you use the drivers side. If you want, you can replace just the bottom.

#5 ·
"If it is side ab, there will be a "Air Bag" label on the upper side facing out."

...upper side of the seat? Side of seat back?

I found a "pull a part" a couple hours from me. Are there year models besides 2001 that will work/fit the same? Would a non-side airbag version still work?

#6 ·
It's been a while since I dissected a seat and it's not fun but you might just want to swap in the Jyard leather butt pads and keep your original seat with wiring intact.

#7 · (Edited)
Sounds good.

Added pic of the AB sign on the seat back.

Except for the switch on the lower plastic, there is no difference for several years. Need to take the whole thing out of the car through the rear door. Seat attaches to the base with 4 bolts. Likely you do not need the base. Guess the Lin Cont seat would fit but would be a really bad idea. AirBag program for dirver's weight done different. :lol2:

-chart-

#8 ·
You should be able to get the seats out the front doors. I was able to do that with mine no problem.

I'd say your best bet is to just swap the leather covering, and possibly also the foam. Much cheaper than buying a whole seat.

#9 ·
SEAT REMOVAL

I just took my driver's seat out this morning from the front. Moved it back and forth to get at the three 13 mm nuts and one 18mm by the hump then picked it up and took it out the front. Now, If I could figure out how to get the backandforth swtich handle and the tilt handle off without breaking them I will be happy. Something is broke in it and it just flops back to the back seat...and I am not into sleeping while I drive. So far, no luck, but since it is 80 some degrees out I will wait till it cools down then tackle the rest.;)

#13 ·
Once again, I revive a really old thread.

I'm looking at leather from a 2005 Sable. I've got a 1999 Taurus wagon. The seller of the leather isn't very local or I'd just meet and test.

Chart - you seem to be well versed on these, so hoping you might have some info or insight.

Are the power connections the same for the 2005 Merc as my 1999 Bull?
Is the rear seat bench section a direct replacement? I know the back is different, but I'd take both sections from the seller if it is.

As always, thanks folks for being a trove of info.

MCSteven

#14 ·
Once again, I revive a really old thread.

I'm looking at leather from a 2005 Sable. I've got a 1999 Taurus wagon. The seller of the leather isn't very local or I'd just meet and test.

Chart - you seem to be well versed on these, so hoping you might have some info or insight.

Are the power connections the same for the 2005 Merc as my 1999 Bull?
Is the rear seat bench section a direct replacement? I know the back is different, but I'd take both sections from the seller if it is.

As always, thanks folks for being a trove of info.

MCSteven

No experience with G-3 as I never had seat issue with any before '01. With G-4, there are some AB and some not, some with the pedal switch in the seat and some with that in the cluster. And '00 and '03 have different stitch pattern.

I got '00 Taurus seat and put in my '03 Sable, same everything except stitching. No one will ever notice but me so what ever works.

-chart-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.