Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1994 Taurus GL 4 wheel disc, ABS. Only had it about 2 months. The pads look fairly new, however, I suspect rotor warpage, because when I get off Freeway or anything 55 and over I get a bad shake. Also, I doubt whoever put the pads on used the grease that you are supposed too. Anyway, I noticed when rotating tires the wheel was hotter than all the others. Also, I suspect the outer part is rubbing because the caliper on that side was lighter in color in that area. It is not a constant squeek, it increases with speed. Any ideas? The wife and I are currently out of work, so I hope to keep this on the cheap.

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Brakes

1994 Taurus GL 4 wheel disc, ABS. Only had it about 2 months. The pads look fairly new, however, I suspect rotor warpage, because when I get off Freeway or anything 55 and over I get a bad shake. Also, I doubt whoever put the pads on used the grease that you are supposed too. Anyway, I noticed when rotating tires the wheel was hotter than all the others. Also, I suspect the outer part is rubbing because the caliper on that side was lighter in color in that area. It is not a constant squeek, it increases with speed. Any ideas? The wife and I are currently out of work, so I hope to keep this on the cheap.
First, I would check the guide pins. Usually a 12mm wrench to remove the bolts, pull the caliper off. The guides the bolts go into should slide very freely in and out in their rubber accordian boots. If not free, pull them out clean them and grease them and put them back, boots go onto a groove on both ends. If they are rusty or damaged, then can be bought new. See attached pic from RockAuto, less than $5 for one wheel.

-chart-

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Most CV joint grease is designed for brake slider pins.

The slider pins do get hot, they get a lot of heat from the brake pads and caliper they are attached too.

When you say you get a bad shake, only when using the brakes or all the time?

·
Registered
10,952 Posts
Pins

Most CV joint grease is designed for brake slider pins.

The slider pins do get hot, they get a lot of heat from the brake pads and caliper they are attached too.

When you say you get a bad shake, only when using the brakes or all the time?
"lot of heat" is relative. Body in in the yoke so that is only "warm" compared to the pads and rotor.

CV grease is designed for extremes of temp. It has to take very cold to very hot and remain a good lube for extreme pressure. I worked with a guy who had been an intern with a major oil company and his summer job was running the testing machine to test compounds. They had a simulator that put loads and movement to mimic real driving conditions, very hot , very cold, water spray, shock and such. From what he told, the degree of development for these special greases was going on and on. Early cars like the Citation had frequent failures back in the early 80's before the lube were fully developed.

MY Lin had a squeek in the power window and under warrenty they greased something and it stopped for a while but came back after warrenty. I opened up the door panel and determined the squeek and vibration was from the center "X" frame pivot. I used a Q-tip and put CV grease on the joint and it has been quiet ever since. Maybe 4 years or so.

Back in the day, early Taurus, the boots failed often and if you did not replace them quickly you were out a CV and that was expensive back then. I have taken them apart and rebooted, after clean and reagrease. That grease is the slimy stuff that you cannot get of your hands. You can wash with lava soap and it is still slick.

I use it on my Atlas Lathe Timken bearings as it quieter than oil, and less friction than wheel bearing grease. I use latex gloves to handle it now.:rolleyes2:

ps My lathe is "1950" and running strong.

-chart-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts