Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

When driving with TransAxle in Drive(D), there is Engine braking in the 3rd gear.

How does the engine braking works ?
Does the braking power generated from the Vaccum-pressure in the cylinders ?

Is this engine braking harmful to engine? Does it increase the engine wear ?

To save my Tranny, in city I drive in D, so need to understand if I am killing my engine to save the Tranny.

Abhi

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
When you let off the gas, the engine is just a big vacuum pump. Even with the TC unlocked, there is still the fluid power transfer between the engine and the drivetrain, and power is transferred from the drivetrain back to the engine to keep it spinning. This slows down the car.

It does not hurt the engine or the tranny at all.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I am always at a loss when people say that they always drive in "D" when they are in town. Since ford transmissions wont shift into overdrive until the 40-45mph mark, how is it harmful for the transmission to drive in overdrive when in town you most likely are not passing the 35mph mark? The only harm iv ever seen comes from riding with people who drive in "D" and then jump on the highway and forget to put the selector into "OD". Ill be riding along and hear the engine racing at 65mph,and i look over and they are still in "D". Once i remind them, there like "oh ya, la de da" as if driving around at 5000 RPMs is suddenly much better than driving around with the selector in overdrive.

·
Premium Member
4,065 Posts
I'm told the Gen III/IV will go into 4th at around 35.

I put it into D by default no matter what, since I'd rather not have it shift into 4th just to shift back into 3rd a minute later. It goes into OD once I get on the highway.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
My G4 goes into OD at 30 MPH. My G2 goes into OD at 40 MPH. I manually lock it out so it's not always shifting around driving around town (too much stop and go traffic plus 35 MPH speed limit).

Why do we always have this discussion? Read:
http://www.taurusclub.com/encyclopedia/Features/AX4S.html#od

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already read that document, and know the use of D and OD, but my question was how engine braking works in D.

And if the engine braking wears the engine.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Better stay away from Oklahoma. Some of these towns will give you a ticket for engine braking :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
What's weird about the Duratec is I actually get more engine braking in OD than D. Quite the opposite with the Essex.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts