Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another belt issue, I just replace my drive belt about one week ago. On that day its look nice and quit( i thought i resolve the prob), on the next morning when I start the bull OMG the noise come back and it was terrible this time :angry: . After 10 min of driving the noise is gone (just when idle) but when I accelerate :werd: the belt noise again. I check and clean completely all the pulley before I install the new belt, I got the belt from motocraft dealer and they give me (dayco belt) which same belt as the old one. this noise drive me crazy… this morning I spray WD40(belt test) same as the old one noise is gone after I spray, but not when I accelerate it. :( please advice what should I do now?! Thanks much.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Is there any chance that it could be a pulley and not the actual belt? I would at least try to lubricate the pulleys. I'm not 100% sure on if this truly works or not. As a temporary fix a buddy of mine said to go ahead and spray all the pulleys with some WD40 to try and lubricate the bearings. Since then screaming stopped for about a month and then came back. I ended up grabbing a hose and tried to pin point which pulley was bad. replaced it and badda bing badda boom no more noise.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My guess would be the either an idler pulley or the tensioner.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
QUOTE (ZZman @ Jun 7 2009, 01:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730759
My guess would be the either an idler pulley or the tensioner.[/b]
HAd the same problem with my 03. Didn't bother to guess which one it was, so I replaced both.
Goto ROCKAUTO.COM.

1997 FORD TAURUS Idler Pulley
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,...1,parttype,6956
DAYCO Part # 89010 {#89010FN}
$17.00
PIC: http://info.rockauto.com/Dayco/Detail.html?89010.jpg

1997 FORD TAURUS Tensioner Pulley
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,...,parttype,10346
DAYCO Part # 89007 {#89007FN}
$12.94
PIC: http://info.rockauto.com/Dayco/Detail.html?89007.jpg

When you get to the checkout page and see "How Did You Hear About Us?" enter the discount code: 16754671426279 in the box to the right of that and get 5% OFF your total.

It was less than $30.00 total to have them shipped to me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i tested all the pulley several times before i install the new belt and im sure they all ok. and infact when i spray WD40 on the belt (not on the pulley) and i believe it did not reach the pulley, then the noise gone for i while. wierd!!! :rolleyes2: it just either one of the pulley or the belt is acting crazy.

·
Registered
89 Posts
QUOTE (taurus GL'97 @ Jun 7 2009, 10:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730871
i tested all the pulley several times before i install the new belt and im sure they all ok. and infact when i spray WD40 on the belt (not on the pulley) and i believe it did not reach the pulley, then the noise gone for i while. wierd!!! :rolleyes2: it just either one of the pulley or the belt is acting crazy.[/b]
Putting WD-40 on the belt will simply allow it to slip without making noise, but you didn't solve anything. Figure out which pulley is hard to turn.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (astc @ Jun 8 2009, 01:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730913
QUOTE (taurus GL'97 @ Jun 7 2009, 10:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730871
i tested all the pulley several times before i install the new belt and im sure they all ok. and infact when i spray WD40 on the belt (not on the pulley) and i believe it did not reach the pulley, then the noise gone for i while. wierd!!! :rolleyes2: it just either one of the pulley or the belt is acting crazy.[/b]
Putting WD-40 on the belt will simply allow it to slip without making noise, but you didn't solve anything. Figure out which pulley is hard to turn.
[/b][/quote]

yes i know, its just a simple test to determine if the belt is causing the noise. thats why im seeking for some advise coz i didnot solve the prob. my concern in this situation my belt is new but it seem it causing the noise. is there something i need to consider?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm sure you did this, but watch it turn at idle and see it is turning true or not. Increase the speed at the engine at notice the pulleys.

If it was not squealing before, then it's misaligned somehow and not enough tension on it. That is the first place to look, belts make noise either when not tight enough or they wobble from a pulley and if its turning straight and the right size belt then there is no squealing.

Spraying lubricants on the belt only shortens it's life and causes future squeals when it dries it out.

By you saying when you drive it stops the noise, tells you at slow rpms the pulley or tensioner is misaligned.

The drive belt makes a high pitched squeal, the power steering unit in Fords often do make noises as well. Check the fluid level and look for fluids blowing onto your belt as when you're driving at higher rpms, the car is moving and the fluid is not sticking like at idle.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put little bar soap in to the belt this morning and constantly the noise gone, it start the noise again when I put gas on it. Maybe alignment as pooldude said, how can I do this? The belt is perfectly fit on each pulley as I checked. How about the idle pulley or tensioner? Should I replace one of them?!

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Take the belt off and spin the idler and tensioner pulleys by hand. They should have some drag to them (from the grease in the bearings) and not spin completely freely. There should be no play in the bearings, and there should be no play in any direction. If they fail any of these tests, replace that pulley.

What exactly is the noise it's making? Check and make sure the tension on the belt is OK, and check all the accessories and make sure all of them are good as well. It definitely sounds like either something is hard to turn or there isn't enough tension.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (ford_ses @ Jun 10 2009, 08:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731297
Take the belt off and spin the idler and tensioner pulleys by hand. They should have some drag to them (from the grease in the bearings) and not spin completely freely. There should be no play in the bearings, and there should be no play in any direction. If they fail any of these tests, replace that pulley.

What exactly is the noise it's making? Check and make sure the tension on the belt is OK, and check all the accessories and make sure all of them are good as well. It definitely sounds like either something is hard to turn or there isn't enough tension.[/b]
as i remember when i put the new belt i check all the puley, the idle and the tensioner was spinning freely but no sound of bad bearing. how can i check if the tensioner have enough tension.

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
QUOTE (astc @ Jun 8 2009, 04:12 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=730913
Putting WD-40 on the belt will simply allow it to slip without making noise, but you didn't solve anything. Figure out which pulley is hard to turn.[/b]
The solvent in WD-40 helps to break up any glaze on either the belt or a pulley and will help cure a squeaking belt, whether it be a serpentine belt or an old-timey v-belt.

WD-40 is not a lubricant per se and will not permanently repair any part requiring lubricant, like a bad idler or tensioner pulley. The "WD" stands for "water displacing"

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yesterday same issue as i start the engine :dunno: i put again lil bar soap and baboom quit til reach office (last time only at idle it quit now even in hway) but... :( noise again from office to house... grrrrrr how many bar soap should i buy just to peace this off!!! :noes:
is this something to do w/ belt? or should i suspect the pulley, nah i dnt think so (but correct me if im wrong). this is really weird.. plz help

·
Registered
89 Posts
QUOTE (taurus GL'97 @ Jun 10 2009, 11:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731529
yesterday same issue as i start the engine :dunno: i put again lil bar soap and baboom quit til reach office (last time only at idle it quit now even in hway) but... :( noise again from office to house... grrrrrr how many bar soap should i buy just to peace this off!!! :noes:
is this something to do w/ belt? or should i suspect the pulley, nah i dnt think so (but correct me if im wrong). this is really weird.. plz help[/b]
We did help you, but you are not listening. The soap simply allows the belt to slip without making noise - but it's still slipping. And if you let it slip to the point that it doesn't turn the water pump you are going to be in trouble.

Yes, one of the pulleys is bad. Or the tensioner.

Have you taken off the belt and turned each pulley by hand (each one, not just the idler)? Have you wobbled each one to make sure they don't move?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Making it easy for you: replace tensioner and idler pulley, theyre cheap and probably wouldnt hurt. Tip: listen!!!!

·
Registered
953 Posts
QUOTE (taurus GL'97 @ Jun 10 2009, 01:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731314
QUOTE (ford_ses @ Jun 10 2009, 08:46 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=731297

What exactly is the noise it's making? Check and make sure the tension on the belt is OK, and check all the accessories and make sure all of them are good as well. It definitely sounds like either something is hard to turn or there isn't enough tension.[/b]
as i remember when i put the new belt i check all the puley, the idle and the tensioner was spinning freely but no sound of bad bearing. how can i check if the tensioner have enough tension.
[/b][/quote]

I just wanted to chime in on this really quick. When you spun the pulleys (both tensioner and idler pulleys) they shouldn't spin very long. If they spin 'freely' as you mentioned above, then that signals that the grease in the pulleys has gradually decreased and is not working. When you spin the pulleys (fresh out of the box) they spin but then slow down very quickly. Go to an Autozone or some other parts store and do that test. If they spin freely (again just using your words) then chances are good that there is no grease lubricating the bearings which leads to the friction and thus the squeal.

~Matt

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
alright guys i got you on that. but why the squealing stop when i put some bar soap on the belt? if the tensioner or the idle pulley was bad it should be continues squealin right?! a quick explanation will be appreciated.

·
Registered
89 Posts
QUOTE (taurus GL'97 @ Jun 13 2009, 11:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732132
alright guys i got you on that. but why the squealing stop when i put some bar soap on the belt? if the tensioner or the idle pulley was bad it should be continues squealin right?! a quick explanation will be appreciated.[/b]
The pulley is not squeaking, the belt is. What's happening is the pulley is jammed and very hard to turn, so the belt slips because it's not able to turn the pulley. That slipping is making the noise. When you soap or wd-40 it, it still slips, but quietly.

Sometimes the squeak depends on the engine speed, since the belt might be able to turn the pulley at slow speeds, but not faster. Sometimes it just squeaks at first then stops. this is because the pulley is stuck, but eventually moves, and stays moving until the motor is turned off.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
QUOTE (astc @ Jun 14 2009, 10:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732151
QUOTE (taurus GL'97 @ Jun 13 2009, 11:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732132
alright guys i got you on that. but why the squealing stop when i put some bar soap on the belt? if the tensioner or the idle pulley was bad it should be continues squealin right?! a quick explanation will be appreciated.[/b]
The pulley is not squeaking, the belt is. What's happening is the pulley is jammed and very hard to turn, so the belt slips because it's not able to turn the pulley. That slipping is making the noise. When you soap or wd-40 it, it still slips, but quietly.

Sometimes the squeak depends on the engine speed, since the belt might be able to turn the pulley at slow speeds, but not faster. Sometimes it just squeaks at first then stops. this is because the pulley is stuck, but eventually moves, and stays moving until the motor is turned off.
[/b][/quote]
now i understand, thanks "astc" for the quick clarification. :thumb:
i will check again the tensioner and the idle pulley, if one of them need to replace how easy or can i do it myself?

·
Registered
89 Posts
QUOTE (taurus GL'97 @ Jun 14 2009, 01:33 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=732152
now i understand, thanks "astc" for the quick clarification. :thumb:
i will check again the tensioner and the idle pulley, if one of them need to replace how easy or can i do it myself?[/b]
Check all the pulleys. In my car the A/C pulley died.

And remember that just because you can turn it easily at low speed doesn't mean it works at engine speeds, so follow the advice above on how to check them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts