Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Drivability Problem 98 Sable

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  blue oval 2004 
#1 ·
My daughters 98 sable is giving us a fit. 3.0 vucan engine. The engine starts losing power and she has to pull over on road and let it sit for a minute or two then it starts up and goes for a while then repeats its slowing down and losing power. She says when she presses pedal the engine just wont go.When its not acting up it runs great up through the complete power range We`ve had the fuel pump assembly replaced, the fuel filter replaced twice. It does put of a engine code p0430, the mechanic replaced oxgen senser but the code keeps returning. The plugs have been replaced. Listening to my daughter it sounds like when she turns off ign and then restarts car that its good to go for 10 - 30 miles before problem comes again, the multfunction switch was replaced last year because of turn sig problem so you wouldnt think its the ign switch being its fairly new. Fuel presure with engine runing is about 35 psi,this is with the new fuel pump. I have a friend that suggested replacing the tps ,but havent had that done yet. We had the heads redone about a year back because of a overheating issue and the car is using almost a qt of oil per tank of gas( no leaks can be found and i suspect we should have done the rings as well) but maybe the large use of oil may be contributing to the po430 code problem. Putting a qt of oil in it once a week we can stand but not being able to rely on the car traveling between her work and home is a big issue. Any thoughts would be great apprecaited,Thanks Mike

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.