Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my tires put on today (all 4), as well as new rotors and brake pads (fronts only), and replacement of the sway bar link (RH)

I noticed after I got the new tires put on, I was driving on the highway... and driving at 55-60mph I felt the car 'drifting' to the right. Like it was slipping off the road.

What could cause this? I was suggested over-inflation of the tires, or alignment (which I need, but never caused that sensation before?)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Get an alignment. The new tires (for now) have more tread on them and are more prone to being squirmy.

G

·
Did you replace the bad suspension components that you mentioned a couple weeks back? Worn components will cause that, and the newer tires will accentuate it.

Other areas to look at are the struts (which are pretty well worn on that car), and of course the alignment like the others mentioned. Check the air pressure in the tires also, to make sure it's the same all around.

Also, on most roads there is a crown for water runoff. Sometimes certain tires will react to these differently than the previous tires you had. When I put the BFG KDWS tires on Anonda's car, I thought something was wrong. It pulled like hell to every imperfection in the road. When I switched to the Eagles that are on there now, that went away.

If it were me, I'd do all the suspension stuff, then have it aligned.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Thereis a chance to have defective tire too. You might want to switch front right with front left and see whether the car starts drifting to left. I think this a good way before spending more money...

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Mr. Anonda@Jun 12 2004, 04:41 AM
Did you replace the bad suspension components that you mentioned a couple weeks back?  Worn components will cause that, and the newer tires will accentuate it.

Other areas to look at are the struts (which are pretty well worn on that car), and of course the alignment like the others mentioned.  Check the air pressure in the tires also, to make sure it's the same all around.

Also, on most roads there is a crown for water runoff.  Sometimes certain tires will react to these differently than the previous tires you had.  When I put the BFG KDWS tires on Anonda's car, I thought something was wrong.  It pulled like hell to every imperfection in the road.  When I switched to the Eagles that are on there now, that went away.

If it were me, I'd do all the suspension stuff, then have it aligned.
My sway bar link, tie rod, and ball joint have been replaced with new parts (on the passenger side), rotors and brake pads front and rear were replaced as well (This morning). Alignment hasn't been done yet, because in order for me to have had the alignment they told me to do all that stuff first.

I wasnt aware that my struts were worn? I've had several people look at the car, no one has told me that :(

But, I did have it balanced this morning, took it back to the shop I had it done at, and they apologized profusely for not balancing, did the balancing for free and gave me a coupon for $10 off any tire of my choice, limit 8. I went down to Indiana Beach after that, and the car was perfect the whole time, especially keeping up in 85/90 mph traffic, she was great the whole way... went 208 miles and the needle is just above the half tank mark! The car didnt pull or 'drift' once, so I was happy about that. But I am slowly getting the things done to my car that's needed... for example, coolant flush, tranny flush, and tranny cooler.

G

·
Originally posted by Firespirit@Jun 12 2004, 08:19 PM
I wasnt aware that my struts were worn? I've had several people look at the car, no one has told me that :(

Well, the car is pretty bouncy, but all I have to compare it to is the NASCAR ride of Anonda's. It just seemed bouncier than normal. Not dangerous at all, just a little worn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts