Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to change the fluid/coolant of the radiator of my bull. My problem is I cannot locate the plug. Need help.
If you have picture of it (much better) :D
Thanks ;)

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Drivers side
It is a plastic petcock

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
You can't get to it from above - you'll have to remove the plastic shield under the bumper. The petcock is on the driver's side.

The lowest point in the cooling system is the hose junction on the passenger's side (also above the plastic shield), and it might be easier for you to just drain the coolant from there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I read several times that that petcock can be stuck and if you force it open you can crack it, which would lead to a costly repair. Use the hose junction on the pass side right above the splash shield.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I read several times that that petcock can be stuck and if you force it open you can crack it, which would lead to a costly repair. Use the hose junction on the pass side right above the splash shield.
[/b]
I second draining from the lower hose "T" on the passenger side....I broke my drain plug putting it back on...It came off just fine...but torquing plastic is aloooot different than torquing metal. The only thing that saved me was that the thing has a hollow screw body... the 'head' of the petcock twisted off...leaving only the stem...but an allen wrench was still able to fit into the stem and I was still able to screw it back in.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What fastens the T hose on? Hose clamp or ????

Can you just take the right side of the plastic shield loose and and reach in to do it?

·
Registered
834 Posts
QUOTE (JimAbbett @ Mar 16 2009, 06:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709355
What fastens the T hose on? Hose clamp or ????

Can you just take the right side of the plastic shield loose and and reach in to do it?[/b]
Its one of the 'squeezable' factory hose clamps...you can see the connection in a pic that SHOZ123 posted in this link: http://taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?show...mp;#entry702105

.....and the plastic shield is fastened by over ten screws...so loosing up one side is kinda hard...and it only takes a minute to take the entire thing off...which gives you more room to work.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
The plastic petcock has an oring fit. If you overtighten anything it will break.

If you do break it off you can just pull it out and shove a new one in there.

Mike
B)

·
Registered
3 Posts
QUOTE (mwt @ Mar 16 2009, 08:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=709383
If you do break it off you can just pull it out and shove a new one in there.[/b]
The question on my mind is how you (or if you can) replace a broken draincock. It seemed to me that the draincock (the plug) is integral to the radiator. I could only back it out about three turns before it came to a stop. Now with the head snapped off, I can only turn it with an allen wrench and I can't get much purchase on it.

I went to the dealer parts counter and asked. They said that the plug is a separate part and they sold me one for about $6.

However, they had no advice on how to get the broken plug shaft out. Anyone know the answer to this one?

-- RobertM

·
Registered
134 Posts
Depends on the plastic shield, but my daughter's 2001 3.0 FLex has the shield on and although I could reach the clamp on the T of the bottom radiator hose, I decided to 'open' it up a little, so I cut about a 3-4 inch piece out right under the hose connection to allow me to get my hand up there and pull the hose loose. Yes, the clamp is a factory type, and pliers or in my case water pump pliers moved the clamp back easily. Pulling the hose off was a pain and I had to pry it a bit, but once off, it is easy to slide back on. NOTE: When you pull the hose off, the coolant will come out. Make sure you have a dishpan or something right there so you can catch most of it....if you are gonna change the coolant, just get the heck out of the way after the hose comes off.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Forget the drain ****. Use the lower teed hose. It simple and easily aimed at a 5 gallon bucket without removing the shield.

If you need to replace the petcock it just screws in.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts