Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE:
Well, you guys can all meet up if you want, but I won't be there. Not enough participation from the boards to justify making the trip up from south Florida. I'll cancel my cabin reservation, so first come - first served, on that availability.

The TCCA SE Region forum is putting together a Dragon Run and the date is set to October 22-24, 2010. Come all and have a GREAT time driving one of Americas legendary roads. The best description for this road is an 11 mile long roller coaster. 318 turns with no intersecting roadways and no driveways. For those who would like more info on the Dragon:

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC and visit killboy.com photos - The Original Photographer from US129 Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap for some pictures of recent visitors.

Accomodations are plentiful and some are not expensive if you're on a budget. Starting at $40 a night for a fairly new hotel. Suggested overnight stay locations are along scenic Highway 68 from I-75 near Sweetwater, Tennessee to the foot of the Chero-Halla Skyway in Telico Plains, Tennessee. From at I-75 in Sweetwater, you're about 40 minutes from the start of the Skyway and you'll have time to grab a cup of coffee or breakfast along the way.

For the rough & ready try the cabins at Caney Creek Village (www.caneycreekvillage.com) located only a few minutes from the start of the Skyway. There are log and conventional cabins available ranging from very spartan room with a bed at $20 a night to plush 2 bedroom units that sleep 6 with a jacuzzi on the porch (though it will likely bee too cold for jacuzzi action). There is a stocked fishing pond too. I've contacted Dixie at CCV to let her know TCCA would be in town for a Dragon Run. Please let her know you're with the Taurus Car Club. My reservation is made at Caney Creek Village.

NOTES:
The time of year is ideal because:

• There will be almost zero motorcycles on the roadways.
  • The leaves will be in full autumn glory.
  • Great Tennessee BBQ tastes even better when it's cold outside.
These are public roadways. You're encouraged to have fun, but stay within the law & safe limits of your equipment or you'll face the wrath of the local constabulary. Most of the THP will have turned their attention to other areas since the motorcyclists are gone, but there is always the possibility of a patrol car out to tame the Dragon on company time - Who could blame them. Besides, there is NO NEED to speed here. The Tail of the Dragon will demand and hold your attention for the full 11 miles. The Skyway is about 35 miles long and reaches elevations of over a mile. There are stunning scenic overlooks for picture taking and to catch your breath on the Skyway, and a beautiful lake backdrop for more staged photos just beyond the end of the Dragon.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From the spring 2006 Contour Dragon Run...

Bald River Falls near the start of the Skyway:

The Lakeside rest area with picnic tables and dock (That's my Mystique on the right):

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, you guys can all meet up if you want, but I won't be there. Not enough participation from the boards to justify making the trip up from south Florida. I'll cancel my cabin reservation, so first come - first served, on that availability.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts