Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Still working on accomodations but here is where research is taking me...

The rates in Sweetwater are about 40% less than what can be found in Athens, TN or Robinsville, NC. You have to drive 45 mins to get to the start of the Skyway, but it's a nice drive and you can visit they nearby Lost Sea if you have any down time. I've stayed in Etowah also, but it looks like that little community might be fading away.

The prices start around $50 a night for two people. Athens, Tn has a couple more upscale places if you're enclined, and they can be had for under $100 a night.

NOTE: Be sure your brakes are maintained or the ride down from 5000 ft on the Skyway might get a little too exciting. :eek:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Hey guys. I drive a big-truck, and I usually(say 3 weeks outa 4) have a monday delivery in that area( Madisonville, Etowah, Tellico Plains...) So if ya'll need me to try and find some places I'll try to look.

·
Registered
74 Posts
... if ya'll need me to try and find some places I'll try to look.
I may take you up on that. Current status: There were some cabins in Tellico Plains near the base of the Skyway that the CEGers use every time there's a gathering, but it looks like they may have been taken over for development. I'm in touch with the Contour boards organizer for the Dragon Run, and he should get back to me soon on the status of the cabins.

Also, FYI all, part of the information I'm gathering includes when a facility was renovated. A fresh, clean room is a real treat to come back to.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I had a Madisonville and Etowah delivery today...

In Sweetwater, the ones I saw were: Hilltop Hotel, Economy, Days Inn, and Comfort Inn...all out just off the exit @MM60

In Etowah, only the Red Roof and a real Dive looking place called Holiday Terrace.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Hmmmm....cool thanks for the info shohopefull :) Now to budget things out, see how the calendar is looking, etc...

·
Registered
74 Posts
The best reviews and surprisingly, the best pricing too, is for the Days Inn - Lost Sea. It's on Highway 68 a short distance east of I-75. Great location.

Days Inn - Lost Sea $40 a night for the weekend of the 22nd of October. This is the height of the leaf looker season and I don't think there's a better deal available.

Now let's get a head count. Who's in? I can think about booking some activities like a waterfall run or winery tour; perhaps hunt down a track...?

1. tigercadd & spouse

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I am game at the moment...unless something comes up with family, I will be there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
For those who may want to chase down other things to do, here's a start for you:

I've been to all of the wineries in Tennessee and Tennessee Valley Winery is my favorite.
White Wines
The Country White is particularly nice, though a bit sweet for my taste, and the American Reisling is maturing very nicely. I can't wait to try the latest vintage. There are reds, of course, and a few fruit wines. If you live in the area, check them out the weekend before the Dragon Run - It's OCTOBERFEST !!! Choose straws for a DD and make a day of the free tastings. Wonderful people own the vineyard, tell them the Rahrig Family sent you.

Cost: Free + any wine you buy
------------------------------------

The Lost Sea is a delight for geologists with all the great rock & crystal formations. It's an amazing place even if you're not into geology. One of the wonders of America that is worth taking the tour - just to say you've seen it.
Get Ready to Take an Unforgettable Adventure

Cost: $18 for the tour, discounts available.
-------------------------------------

The Bald River Falls are a MUST SEE during your drive over the Skyway. It's only 10 minutes off the beaten path and is a great sight even in the off season.
bald river falls - Google Search

Cost: FREE and worth ten times that!
-------------------------------------

If you really are into falls, here an interactive map for falls in North Carolina. The Bridal Veil falls is usually kinda weak in October, but the simple fact you can walk under the falls is quite cool. The nearby Hidden Falls make it worth the trip to visit these cascades.
North Carolina Waterfalls Map Tennessee has maps too, and it looks like they may be closer to the Hotel than the ones in North Carolina, but I don't know if they require hiking to get to them.

Cost: FREE as far as I know, but some may require a fee.
----------------------------------------------

More to come. Stay tuned!

JimR

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Thid sounds very interesting form what i have read, I would love to do a run like the tail of the Dragon.

Can someone summerize the plans you guys have made up so far, the info is kinda spread out. Maybe we can spread this around a little bit and get some of the Southern Chapter guys to be in on it, South Carolina or Georgia or North flordia is alot closer than Michigan.

Let me know Shoot me a PM or email [email protected]

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Meets I've gone to or had in the past, we just had a bunch of ideas in mind, then figured out what we wanted to do...played it by ear. :)

I know the one time we tried to plan out an itinerary we didn't end up doing half the stuff :lol: Plus it seemed rushed. YMMV. I'm game either way. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
For the actual Dragon run a planned time & meet is the way to go, but other than that I'm all in favor of playing it by ear and letting people do their thing. I'm no control freak.

By an itenerary, I was just thinking about suggesting some family oriented activities nearby, because not everybody will be up for driving the Loop for two or three days. From south Florida it's a 5+ hour drive to the state line....

Besides, we've gotta keep the girls happy too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I wanna run the Dragon bad, but the SHO is down, and there's no way the wife will let me take her SEL LOL. And I don't think it'll be that fun in a worn out Chevy Venture...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Considering the # of law enforcement encounters people report on the Dragon, I don't think I'll be hot rodding it at all, lol. More there just for scenery while not trying to piss off the locals lol.

·
Premium Member
246 Posts
Considering the # of law enforcement encounters people report on the Dragon, I don't think I'll be hot rodding it at all, lol. More there just for scenery while not trying to piss off the locals lol.

If handled properly(hint, hint) you can keep the speed within reason and still have fun. Looking forward to a fun outing. :burnout:

·
Registered
74 Posts
First, everybody keep in mind you don't need to hot-rod to have fun on these roads. The Dragon has 318 turns in 11 miles with no intersecting roads or driveways. It's a 20 minute roller coaster, for sure. My wife has never gotten motion sick in her life - until a dragon run.

Now the law enforcement issue: The only time the LEOs get riled is when things get out of hand. Be cool, have fun, and don't get crazy. So long as things don't get wild, we'll be just fine. The Ford Contour, Mazda Miata groups and others have loads of fun without tangling with the law, and I'm sure we'll draw less attention than them.

Finally, the time of year we're talkin' about, the motorcycles are gone - they don't like the leaves on the pavement. With bikes gone law enforcement throttles back considerably. I've been there many times. In spring & summer the route is thick with THP, but in fall you might see one or two cars, depending on time of day.

SUMMARY:
Stay in your lane and keep your speed reasonably close to the limit & you'll be fine. The law enforcement guys there are professionals of the highest caliber and will not single people out for their own amusement. I've pulled off at an overlook near the dam and had a chance to talk to a couple of them during my visit in 2006. They were good guys and actually took a mild interest in what I had done to my Mystique 'cause it sounds cool.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sounds interesting.....Still gotta get my taurus done.....if life will give me a chance to slow down.......

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
YAY!!! Mentioned this to my wife in passing today, and she said..."just take mine." WOOHOO! LOL. So maybe I can make it after all...

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.