Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 Mercury Sable Wagon 3.0L Vulcan "U" motor. Vehicle set check engine light code P1405 was able to clear code but checked under hood found what I believe is the DPFE sensor burned through at the electrical connection and one plastic nipple melted, one hanging loose, one hose still connected. What caused this melting of the sensor is it old age a misfire or some other fault? If I replace the damaged parts will this happen again? This is the first mercury I have owned and am not really familiar with the drivetrain. At present no codes, vehicle seems to drive ok.

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
I would remove the EGR valve and check for carbon buildup where it meets the intake manifold. Back pressure in the line can pop the silicone tubes off and allow hot gas to escape. Also check for leaks or cracks along the EGR tube which may have allow hot exhaust gasses to melt the connector.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (spridget @ May 22 2010, 09:39 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806177
I would remove the EGR valve and check for carbon buildup where it meets the intake manifold. Back pressure in the line can pop the silicone tubes off and allow hot gas to escape. Also check for leaks or cracks along the EGR tube which may have allow hot exhaust gasses to melt the connector.[/b]
I noticed that the upstream line appeared to be dry rotted and frayed which was attached to the sensor. This vehicle has 181,000.00 miles on it mostly highway miles. Would this damaged sensor have any impact on MPG? Thanks for information. Bob S.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
EGR is used during part throttle cruise to control the speed of combustion. If it is not functioning properly, efficiency would change during these conditions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (2000_Gold_Taurus @ May 23 2010, 09:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=806250
EGR is used during part throttle cruise to control the speed of combustion. If it is not functioning properly, efficiency would change during these conditions.[/b]

Last night I removed the bad parts and hope to buy new ones today. To verify the operation of the EGR valve I removed the vacuum line to it and attached a rubber hose to it then sucked on it to see if it moved which it did, then I started the engine and sucked on the hose to see if the engine stumbled which it did this test appears to prove the functionality of the EGR valve. What I have seen over the years is low speed short drives tends to build up carbon and highway driving trends to inhibit carbon. To properly warm up a engine you need to drive it at speed for at least 20 miles. Bob S.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts