Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are trying to replace the DPFE sensor on a 2000 ford taurusV6 DOHC ,due to the obvious codes. My question is this. When i tried to get a replacement sensor, all of them had 2 hose connectors whereas the original only has one hose connection. Advance told me I would have to go to the dealer to get one like the original, I tried that and the one i got from them is the same way. any suggestions?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've only seen them with 2... You may have broken one of the connectors off somehow. Check for a dead end hose behind your engine.

If your EGR passages run behind the throttle body like they did in the Cougar through 2002, be sure to remove your throttle body & clean out those passages. They got really clogged on the Contour/Cougar.

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
This is strange..... By definition, DPFE (DIFFERENTAL pressure feedback EGR) measures pressure difference across a calibrated orifice to measure actual EGR flow, which means 2 hoses, one from on each side of the orifice go to the sensor. OBDII cars are required to measure actual EGR flow, hense the DPFE sensor. Back in the OBDI days, many Fords uses a PFE (pressure feedback EGR) sensor that only had 1 hose going to the exhaust. This sensor did not measure actual EGR flow. It looked roughly like a cube 2"x2"x2", and most I have seen were light gray in color.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I think it should have two, at least mine did. If I recall correctly, Advance wanted about $50 for the part and I installed it in about 4 minutes. Local dealer quoted me over $100 for the part and a couple hours labor then said it was unsafe to drive without it fixed...... oof da.....

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I think it should have two, at least mine did. If I recall correctly, Advance wanted about $50 for the part and I installed it in about 4 minutes. Local dealer quoted me over $100 for the part and a couple hours labor then said it was unsafe to drive without it fixed...... oof da.....
Which Ford dealer said that? The reason I ask is I'm going up there this summer, and I'm driving my bull up there. I could use some center caps, as mine got messed up by a careless tire shop:ph34r:

When you change the DPFE, also replace the 2 hoses that run to it, as those hoses deteriate with age, the small pieces inside the hoses could get sucked into the DPFE, and ruin the new DPFE.

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
You didn't specify year and engine. In my 93 GL 3.0 that sensor has only one inlet.
The first post says it is a 2000 Tec, so it will be DPFE not PFE.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts