Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the po401 (must be that time of year), so I went to the parts pull and found an genIV vulcan and grabbed the DPFE.
I go to install it on my car, and.... WTF? The connection is wrong!

Mine. Notice how the connection is square, about a half an inch wide.

So I went a looked at all the taurus's I could find. They all had this one!

So I cut that one off the harness from the car I got the sensor from. The colors on the wires on my cars plug, and the new one are exactly the same.
#1 Does anybody have any idea why mine is different? Mine is an '01, this is from an '02.
#2 Is it safe to cut my connection out, and splice the new one in?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Shameless self bump.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
First of all, i wouldn't use a DPFE sensor from a wrecking yard. The commonly fail, so you're better off to just buy a new one, as the one you get could be junk too. That way, you'll get the right part, and you won't have to mess with the wiring. You could splice in the other connector, but you'd also be installing the wrong style sensor, which may cause you more problems anyway. Just spend a few bucks and but a new one, or if you really wanna be cheap, find the one that matches yours. Many other models of Ford use that smaller, more squarish sensor like you have on your car, so just wander around the yard and look at all the fords you see - just look for one with the same part number as what's on your car now.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
If you still have your old DPFE, what numbers are on it?

Also, re the connector, I can't tell much from your photo as I cannot see the details of the connector's innards.

·
Registered
21 Posts
3 questions:
Is this a common failure item?
Is it mounted on the firewall?
Approximate cost.
I'm pulling a P1400 code now.

mp

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
QUOTE (mikeyp @ Mar 24 2009, 04:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=711851
3 questions:
Is this a common failure item?
Is it mounted on the firewall?
Approximate cost.
I'm pulling a P1400 code now.

mp[/b]
1 - search here on DFPE and see the hundreds, if not thousands of posts
2 - no - maybe - on the Gen3, they're mounted on the engine, on the upper intake manifold (UIM) on the passenger side. I haven't definitively found mine on our new-to-us Gen4, but I think it's on the UIM near the EGR valve.
3 - see Rock Auto (rockauto.com) - for the 2002, there are three different brands of EGR Pressure Feedback Sensor, ranging from $27 to $38 plus S&H

Just to gainsay nidan, which is a dangerous hobby because he's right, for my Gen3, I collected 4 new-looking ones at a pick-and-pay, which cost me $5, or $1.25 each. The first one I tried worked fine and has been fine for 2 years.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just for the record, I went ahead and spliced the junkyard sensor and harness in (I was impatient at the time and hadn't gotten any thread replies). I've run on it for about a week and a half (600 miles), and no more CEL. Runs smoother at idle now too.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ford has a new dpfe sensor its plastic and comes with the pig tail.

·
Registered
22,988 Posts
^ Yes, the hoses are silicone to withstand exhaust heat and the HI and REF are 2 different sizes. Do not use vacuum hose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts