Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is a 1997 Ford Taurus GL with 3.0L engine. The EGR Tube as well as the EGR Valve have been replaced after a P0402 code appeared after a head gasket replacement. Everything worked fine and about a week later the PCM is giveing the P0402 code again. I was wondering if at this point I can ignore this safely until next month when I can afford a new DPFE sensor, or just ignore it completely. I will be required to take a 240 miles round-trip drive for a job. Will this effect the car's ability to make it on this trip?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
if its clogged then it will suck gas like crazy and have a dead spot some where in the rpm range. if memory serves me right it inceases the combustion temp. it also runs on vacuum and can cause the valve to remain open and make the car stall. if you have the time pull the egr and look for build up. check the tube also. look at vac lines and make sure they are good and you are getting vacuum.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I drove months with some of those pesky emissions codes till I had time to fix them. Most of the time you will either polute more, or car won't idle right or have worse gas mileage...
It might not be the sensor, but just carbon build-up. Or a vacuum line that got disconnected accidentally during that previous job.

I would fix it in the end, because can affect other parts.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
It could be a "false" code in the sense that the DPFe is acting up, or some hoses were reattached incorrectly. If it runs rough, disconnect and plug the vac supply at the EGR until you get it fixed. Be wary of extended periods of pinging while on the highway though.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
Replace the dpfe with a borg-warner #egr155 from advance auto or oreilly when its convenient for you to do so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. Everythings running great on it other than that sensor. I am going to replace it as soon as I can. Is the Borg-warner part better than the cheaper (at least in my area) Autozone DPFE replaecment?

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
Duralast (wells) dpfe from az are crap. For your 97, borg-warner #egr630 is listed, but #egr155 will work and is cheaper.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Sheila, that stupid AAP site won't even let me see/buy the egr155 if I don't select the right car that uses it - it keeps showing the egr630 for my '96 model! EGR630 is 88$ and in my case it wasn't necessary to replace.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
Vulcans and tecs alike made the switch from#egr630 (96-97) to #egr155 (98-99). $20+ cheaper and possibly an upgraded unit. Note the motorcraft part# is the same for all gen3s (#dpfe15). Some early-build 2000s also called for the #egr155.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Vulcans and tecs alike made the switch from#egr630 (96-97) to #egr155 (98-99). $20+ cheaper and possibly an upgraded unit. Note the motorcraft part# is the same for all gen3s (#dpfe15). Some early-build 2000s also called for the #egr155.
Ah, thank you! Now I see that AAP calls for my 302 (5.0L) V8 also the EGR155... I can "see" it now :)

BTW, the Motorcraft part DPFE15 is $64 on Amazon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts