Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the radio that integrates the ac controls and radio into one piece and I’d like to install a double din radio my buddy gifted me after he totaled his car (he got a brand new car and doesn’t want to go through the hassle of trying to upgrade an already good system). Is there a kit or any way I can use this radio any info pics or personal experience in doing this would be helpful.

·
Registered
477 Posts
So I have the radio that integrates the ac controls and radio into one piece and I’d like to install a double din radio my buddy gifted me after he totaled his car (he got a brand new car and doesn’t want to go through the hassle of trying to upgrade an already good system). Is there a kit or any way I can use this radio any info pics or personal experience in doing this would be helpful.

Hey Tom, like Jag said there are a lot of kits available to do that. I got a Metra kit for my '03 but there are other brands out there. If you are doing a google or amazon search it looks like the key words are dash kit. I would say just to make sure the kit you get includes all the cables otherwise you'll have to buy those separately. You'll need to run the cables from the new radio back to the trunk to plug into the existing wiring harness. The amps for our radio's are in the trunk behind the liner on the drivers side. The new radio won't use the stock amp but that's where you still need to plug into the stock harness. If your car doesn't have the door tweeters that would also be a great upgrade, check out member Durasel on this board and he can hook you up with some.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Hey Tom, like Jag said there are a lot of kits available to do that. I got a Metra kit for my '03 but there are other brands out there. If you are doing a google or amazon search it looks like the key words are dash kit. I would say just to make sure the kit you get includes all the cables otherwise you'll have to buy those separately. You'll need to run the cables from the new radio back to the trunk to plug into the existing wiring harness. The amps for our radio's are in the trunk behind the liner on the drivers side. The new radio won't use the stock amp but that's where you still need to plug into the stock harness. If your car doesn't have the door tweeters that would also be a great upgrade, check out member Durasel on this board and he can hook you up with some.
So I looked on the forums and searched google and amazon I haven’t found anything but either the single din with the integrated manual ac controls like I have currently and the metra with digital controls can I use the the metra with the digital controls. Correct me if I’m wrong but the controls on mine work on some kind of a vacuum I don’t see anywhere on the metra kit atleast in pictures that those vacuum lines would plug into

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi Tom
You might want to check out Crutchfield.com.
They sell the Metra kits with the wiring harness adapters.
It might make your life easier also!

Jay
1999 SE Sport

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a kit from metra at best buy and it came with everything that I needed to install it except the tools to open the head unit to pull it out. walmart sells them as well as autozone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts