Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and needed to ask a question I couldnt find much info about. The car in question is a 2013 Taurus Limited with the 3.5l ,I've owned this car a year and it just hit 100k miles so I feel now is a good time to flush fluids. If this has been posted before then I apologize but I couldn't find it, anyways...

I just noticed the brake fluid in my 2013 Taurus is getting dirty, I know it needs DOT 4 per the cap. My question is, how much do you think I'll need? And should I stick with Motorcraft or can I use Prestone and be fine. I don't want to overpay if it's not needed. Side note, I'm going to try and keep it changed every 30-40k miles along with the transmission fluid, which I just changed as well.

Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Flushing every 30 to 40k miles seems excessive. You can get a test meter or strips to check for moisture. My Lexus schedule is 30k miles for the brake fluid flush but the identical car with a Toyota name does not recommend any fluid flush. Seems like a money grab for Lexus which has a longer warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'll probably just change it when it starts to look foggy, I had just read somewhere to change it around 30k miles or so. I've never changed it in my old Ranger and I've put around 40-50k miles on it since I bought it.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
What I have heard and to me it makes sense is when you change the pads, before you retract the pistons you open the bleed screws and compress the piston. That forces old cruddy fluid out instead og pushing it bad through the ABS pump. That would remove quite a bit of fluid you add fresh fluid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts