Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the Ford dealer picking up a new coolant tank and cap. I was telling the parts guy about how fast the Dorman tank failed. He told me a NAPA guy came in yesterday and bought Ford parts for his Mercury and said the Dorman were "junk".

I can tell you the Ford tank I just put in is heavier than the Dorman and the cap fits a lot better. Amazing what a little quality will do.
My conclusion is that anything connected to the engine needs to be Motorcraft.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
My right foot is connected to the engine, and it's made in America....
(Still works after 53 years!)

·
Registered
160 Posts
I bought the Autozone expansion tank as well. I found it's initial quality to be 'ok', but haven't put many miles on it yet. It was a lot cheaper and it's got a lifetime warranty...

For a part that's easy to replace, and whose failure doesn't result in catastrophic damage to something else, I'll go Chinese. For hard to replace parts that can grenade an engine (cam sync), FoMoCo all the way.

Also, screw Rock Auto - Amazon is the price king now. (I'm still pissed about Rock Auto shipping me the wrong part twice and still making me pay for all my return shipping.)

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The Doorman coolant tank I just put in is fine, besides it has a Limited lifetime warranty from autozone :) If it cracks I just replace it for free (Less the coolant) Now the dooreman cam synchronizer is a Piece of crap, anyone will tell you. Sensors and things like that stick to the OEM or the manufacturer of the OEM, coolant resivoirs, end links, CV boots, brakes etc. can be aftermarket with no Ill effects. Maybe you just had a defective unit ? I'll be the first to report if my coolant resivoir fails but it was just the same thickness and quality as the broken ford unit I took out of my taurus minus the damn leak.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Must be defective, I can pull the cap part way off,:huh: then can snap it back on.
The Ford part did weigh a bit more. Cost more as well.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Must be defective, I can pull the cap part way off,:huh: then can snap it back on.
The Ford part did weigh a bit more. Cost more as well.
That's exactly what my Dorman tank did. I glued the cap to the tank with a bit of epoxy.:lol2:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The Doorman coolant tank I just put in is fine, besides it has a Limited lifetime warranty from autozone :) If it cracks I just replace it for free (Less the coolant) Now the dooreman cam synchronizer is a Piece of crap, anyone will tell you. Sensors and things like that stick to the OEM or the manufacturer of the OEM, coolant resivoirs, end links, CV boots, brakes etc. can be aftermarket with no Ill effects.
Remind me not to buy a used car from you...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
That's exactly what my Dorman tank did. I glued the cap to the tank with a bit of epoxy.:lol2:
So how do you put coolant in when it's low?????

I just find that OEM makes for less issues. The tank was a huge part of my cooling issue. the threads were off and the system was not holding proper pressure. The new Ford tank and cap, resolved the issue.
Fordparts.com is a GREAT help!

For some reason Rock Auto no longer has the Ford tank.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Remind me not to buy a used car from you...
Don't flatter yourself, I wouldn't sell one to you... What, your so high and mighty for using OEM parts ? give me a break. -_-

The fact is that some parts can be aftermarket and they are just fine, Granted there are some parts that I won't put on the car unless they are OEM. It's your opinion that aftermarket parts are bad, I'm sure you have an OEM battery too huh ? ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,590 Posts
Lifetime Warranty on cheap AZ / Dorman junk....... how is that warranty going to help you when the tank cracks or junk cap looses pressure and the engine overheats driving cross country? A tow charge because your car is sitting on the side of the road plus the inconvienence of a dead car makes the Ford tank look cheap.

I buy OEM parts or OEM quality aftermarket parts for all critical applications in all my cars, and I am anal about preventative maintainance. I havent had a roadside breakdown in over 25 years (probably 500,000++ miles). I wonder why?

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Well then, I guess your lucky - count your blessings because a vehicle can brake down on the side of the road that has 100 miles on it. The point I am trying to make is that just because it's aftermarket and not OEM does not mean it's inferior. You are guilty in some form of aftermarket parts on your vehicle I guarantee it. Don't spit on people who use aftermarket products just because you buy OEM. I assume you have the OEM Brand / Make / Size tires on your vehicle too ? Come on folks, OEM stuff is great and all but if a QUALITY aftermarket part does the job at a fraction of the cost then why would you buy OEM ? False sense of security ? or is it just braging rights ? My point is Sure OEM is GREAT but it depends on the part I am replacing and where I make the decision to go aftermarket or not.

Reactions: SoNic67

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Agree... I buy aftermarket parts all the time. But I started to research a litte bit more before I use them, to avoid costly mishaps.
Breaks? I buy the best they have at the parts store (not OEM). Shocks? Monroe Sensatrac are way better that OEM. Spark plugs? I don't want to hear anymore of OEM ones after the issues that I had with them - Iridium Autolite are anyway better in my book. Oil? Full syntetic... Oil filter? Yep, I go with Motorcraft because, unlike other OEM parts) is cheap and build quality is what needs to be.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I also buy after market after researching them. Sometimes OEM is actually cheaper than after market.
The brakes I put on were Wagner ThermoQuiets and new Wagner rotors. The battery is a Wally World one that is 6 years old and never missed a beat. Tires are BFG, All filters stay OEM. Wipers are Anco.
BUT certain parts have to be OEM. if you search on this site on coolant tanks you will see Dorman seems to not be too good. The quality control is lax.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Let's keep in mind that we're talking about Taurus' here. I've had just about every damn "common FACTORY design flaw" creep up and bite me. Some of it is preventable, some of it isn't. SOME parts SHOULD be OEM, some don't need to be. If you're looking for ultra-reliability, sell your Taurus.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Heh - the fact that we're talking about replacing parts here says that all parts -OEM and after-market - can be counted on to fail at some point.

I am about to find out how badly the OEM timing chain cover gasket failed in about a week when I go through that project.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
You Too ? :( I'm doing mine and for the record OEM Water pump ;) the rest will be just gaskets and an oil change which will include a K&N oil filter (Champ Labs / Mobile 1 Filter is the SAME thing in case you didn't know this) and 5 qts of Full synthetic mobile 1 (5-20w) The biggest PITA is waiting for the silicone to dry after puting everything back together, yes that's right.... silicone, I'm not doing this job again lol.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I did a water pump replacement 6 mos ago

along with all the hoses and heater hose assembly. I installed a Bosch pump. The original pump actually looked fine - impeller vanes intact, no leaking from the shaft seal.

I thought it was the pump but turned out to be the timing cover gasket.

·
Premium Member
1,090 Posts
Sometimes OEM means "obsoleted" so I go with whatever is available.

I have Dorman front subframe bushings and Daytime Running Light module. So far, so good.

I also have a NAPA Vehicle Speed Sensor that seems to work just fine.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I agree with jeff, go OEM.

I have tried the dorman crap, but its just the cheapest bunch of crap ever. My latest dorman addition was a PCV elbow (didn't sell OEM at rockauto), and its cracked after literally 3 weeks. Unbelievable.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts