Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue with my 2001 ford Taurus. It started when the door did not want to stay shut. People kept opening this door that would not stay shut so I then locked the door. Now this door which is on the driver back side will now not open. I have seen people with similar issues but no solution. I cannot remove the door panel due to a screw on the outter edge that requires the door to be open. Everytime I pull the door lock up, it goes right back to the locked position. Does anyone have a solution for this?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Try pulling up harder on the handle when trying to open the door. If you get it open, lube everything you can get at with silicone or other non greasy lubricant. Then take off the panel and disconnect the wires to the electric door lock. Check also the auto-lock child-proofing function if it has one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will definitely try that. Anything is better than I have at this point. I do not think it is the child lock though. It will not open from the inside or out. Thank you so much! I will post if that works.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Probably out of alignment or rusty. Relieve the pressure by pushing in when lifting the handle. It should let go of the latch mechanism easily when pressure is relieved.

+1 Once open, check alignment and lube with dry grease. Wet will just collect dirt.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I am having an issue with my 2001 ford Taurus. It started when the door did not want to stay shut. People kept opening this door that would not stay shut so I then locked the door. Now this door which is on the driver back side will now not open. I have seen people with similar issues but no solution. I cannot remove the door panel due to a screw on the outter edge that requires the door to be open. Everytime I pull the door lock up, it goes right back to the locked position. Does anyone have a solution for this?
Disconnect the battery and manually unlock door. Then you can work on it. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for all of the replies! So I managed to get my door panel off and was able to look inside. My father told me that moisture had gotten into the latch and caused it not to work right. ( this is when it was staying open) I kept having to slam it in a way that it would stay shut. I got sick of people opening it, so I locked the door. The problem was that when I kept slamming it, the locking plate got knocked loose. The door now opens like it should. If your door doesn’t shut like it should, take the latch out and spray some WD40 on it. DONT SLAM IT! I hope this helps someone else in the future.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts