Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first car I've had this with. You cannot open the doors after a freezing cold night!. It is a huge problem. Is there something I can use in the jams .. or spray something to prevent this from continually happening? I live in New England .. so I know there are folks in colder places who must have this problem. I'm frustrated and stumped. I don't have the $$$ for a remote stater.. or anything like that.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
Do you mean you cant pull the door handle to open the door, or do you mean you can pull the handle but the door is frozen to the car? If door frozen to car, spraying the door weatherstrip seals (around door opening) with silicone spray helps quite a bit.

·
Registered
23,812 Posts
^ Yes, the silicone spray on the rubber door seals helps loads. Also may help to spray inside door latch with wd-40 and then white lithium grease spray. Another tried and true tip is while pulling the handle with one hand , grab the top right hand corner of the door with the other and pull. Just the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had this problem last year, and this time I made sure the door 'jambs' are cleaned and waxed in the fall before the cold weather hits. Just used turtle wax. And so far this year no problems. I will have to do the wd40 and lithium grease on the door latches, they stuck open the other day when it was below zero. Thanks for the idea.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
^^^^ +1

Its organic based lubes / sprays that can swell / damage plastic and rubber.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I'm sure the rubber is freezing to the metal. Any water, freezing rain or snow causes the bond. Is the Liquid Wrench product you suggest to be used to prevent freezing or after the fact to unstick things? Ideally I'd like to get something to prevent it from happening permanently. I will definately get some of what you recommend.. hmmm...what about something alcohol based since alcohol does not freeze readily?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Yes I'm sure the rubber is freezing to the metal. Any water, freezing rain or snow causes the bond. Is the Liquid Wrench product you suggest to be used to prevent freezing or after the fact to unstick things? Ideally I'd like to get something to prevent it from happening permanently. I will definately get some of what you recommend.. hmmm...what about something alcohol based since alcohol does not freeze readily?
Silicone is a good preventative for freezing. Clean/wipe down weatherstrip and where door jamb contacts it, then spray and wipe down above mentioned areas. Silicone residue stays on parts and prevents freezing together. Alcohol evaporates away quickly, leaving no protection behind. Pre-waxing the jambs (and ArmorAll-ing the weatherstripping) in warmer weather as mentioned above helps a lot also. To unfreeze a stuck door jamb you can pour Rainex (the orange one) windshield deicer right onto the top side of the door and give it a minute to work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.