Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my girlfriends '01 the door wont stay shut. Its cold here. We kept slamming the door but it would not stay shut. What do I do?

BTW, it finally would stay shut after we locked the door then slammed it shut.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome, thats guys. When we leave to go home after our finals, I will pull it in my garage and spray new grease in all the locks. I'm glad I worked the lock last night cause I guess that helped it.

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Whatever you do, don't gave your car a carwash below 32 F

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I would have the same problem with my '99 in the winter months. I would hold the door shut and run the heat / defroster as hot as I could get it. It takes a few minutes, but it will thaw out the latch assembly and then the door will work. You could spray some WD40 in there to get rid of some of the water also.

·
Registered
5 Posts
This forum is great. I have an older car that just yesterday, below freezing, I couldn't get the door to latch shut. I fiddled with the latch and it ended up rotating upside down in there, and I actually had to call AAA because I couldn't get it turned back around right, even after a screwdriver and plyers, and the door wouldn't shut. This morning, once again the door bounced open but I didn't fiddle with it this time, I just quick locked it so it was only open about 1/2" and drove the kids to school (in 15 degree weather) holding the door as shut as I could the whole way (it was locked, like I said, but I didn't trust it, and the wind...) The door latches after the car has really warmed up. Tomorrow morning I am not going to open that driver's door, I'm going to crawl in from the passenger side. I did spray some oil in the latch, but so far it hasn't seem to have done much. Anyway, it makes life interesting.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Another thing you could do if you have this problem and the doors wont stay shut is to use a bunji cord that will stretch between the two front doors securing them. Chances are when you reach your destination this problem will no longer exist. until next time lol.

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
This forum is great. I have an older car that just yesterday, below freezing, I couldn't get the door to latch shut. I fiddled with the latch and it ended up rotating upside down in there, and I actually had to call AAA because I couldn't get it turned back around right, even after a screwdriver and plyers, and the door wouldn't shut. This morning, once again the door bounced open but I didn't fiddle with it this time, I just quick locked it so it was only open about 1/2" and drove the kids to school (in 15 degree weather) holding the door as shut as I could the whole way (it was locked, like I said, but I didn't trust it, and the wind...) The door latches after the car has really warmed up. Tomorrow morning I am not going to open that driver's door, I'm going to crawl in from the passenger side. I did spray some oil in the latch, but so far it hasn't seem to have done much. Anyway, it makes life interesting.
I would heat the car up until the latch is working again, then get some lock deicer or some rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle and soak the hell out of the latch, don't worry about getting it in there, you want to treat it like a gas station bathroom. Let it evaporate and do it again once or twice, then fill it with some kind of grease and work it in. That will probably fix it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same problem last yr. I cleaned and lubed all of the hinges. have not had the problem since even in zero degree weather. I believe dirty gets built up in there and traps moisture which then freezes. Longshot but it works fine now lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.