Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

)Door Unable to Close

12K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Joe_K 
#1 ·
Anyone have this issue? When the temp drops below 35 (and only in odd circumstances like ice/snow) after I get in the car, the driver door cannot stay closed. It's not that it stays open, just that the mechanism that holds the door to the striker won't "grab". The door just bounces back open and if I try the door lock, the door immediately unlocks.

Once the door warms up a few degrees (or I spray some WD-40 on the actuator on the door) it will catch and stay closed.

At first I thought it just needed some lube, but after using the WD-40 this happened again the next morning.

#2 ·
Hey long time no see!

I would try also spraying some kind of white lithium grease after the Wd-40. See if that helps fend off the water. I have had that issue on my car a few mornings when water got down in the door.

Have you tried playing around with the passenger door?

#4 ·
You know, a member on here, OldWagon posted a suggestion awhile back. There are three bolts assisting holding the latch/lock/actuator assembly in the door. Remove each bolt and liberally spray/squirt some kind of grease into the opening. Then work the lock...he had a thread about it on here. See if that helps?

#5 ·
This happend to me the other day it was really cold out fixed it by lifting the door lever and used my finger to put the latch back in the right position it's been fine since

I didn't realize my door didn't shut all the way and I made a right onto a main road and my door flew open thank god the road was empty could have easily hit an oncoming car with the door

#6 ·
Of all the problems the taurus can have, this is one of the most frustrating because there is almost no solution for it. I've found with my 99, that the problem occurs when water runs down the window past the seal and into the door. if it wasn't cold out it would simply drain out the bottom of the door, BUT when it get's inside on the arms and levers that opperate the door latch and lock, everything freezes and stops working. It seems to me that it isn't the "latch" that needs lubrication, but the mechanism within the door that is the problem. I've found the best way to loosen the ice is to push the lock button down, then having the door open, use the inside door handle to "open and unlock" the mechanism. It seems that by working the mechanism over and over, it loosens things up so it can work.

#8 ·
I have the same problem on my '04 SES. I found some days using the key to unlock instead of the key fob, it worked. Others, i've had to unroll the window, reach out and hold the outside door handle about 1/2 way and pull the door shut, others, I had to work the lock button up and down a few times. Tried lube, wd-40, nothing works. I've heard others say replacing the latch fixes things. bought car new in '04, didn't start having this problem til around '09. This past winter it was just about every day I had the problem. Have new latch, will replace.

#9 ·
I had this issue this morning since it was like 10 degrees. I can get the door to shut if I manually lock it once I get in the car. It doesnt need to stay locked, just locked once then unlocked again...I tried the grease too...............

#10 ·
My Taurus does this too! I can't avoid it because I live in Ohio. (Might move to Colorado Springs). Last time it happened, WD-40 nor moving the latch worked. Slamming the door shut with all my might worked though :lol2:

#13 ·
I had my '97 in PA, and now my '02 in NY - So I feel your OH coldness - I had to really ream on my door last winter as well - Glad I'm not the only one with that little fix!

Honestly though, I've never had another vehicle do that to me, and I've had some real clunkers (Like a 1992 LeBaron convertible with a leaky roof)!

#11 ·
both my fiance's 00 SE and my SES, the drivers door does it, she had her dad take her SE to a guy they know and he fixed, mine did so bad for three weeks this past winter that once I got it stay, I got in and out thro the passenger door. Im waiting till spring is here in MI so I can actaully get the bloody thing fixed

#14 ·
Problem solved. Replaced the latch yesterday. The old one was rusted up really bad (not that I didn't expect rust on a 7 year old part) but I don't think spraying any kind of WD-40 or lube or anything would have helped it. VERY easy to replace yourself if you've got a bit of patience and some mechanical ability.

BTW the guys at the dealer (parts counter and service desk) say they don't know if there's a "problem" with this generation of Taurus having problems with the door latches. So if you go hunting for an answer at the dealer, you probably won't get an answer from them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.