Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 99 SE when it was 2 years old and 23k. Right after the 3 year warranty was up, I notice rust bubbles on the inside lower part of my rear passenger door- right on the seam. Anyway, I went to my dealer and said it was common and would not fix it. Then I called ford, they wouldn't fix it either. Keep in mind this was two years ago when the care was 3 years old. Now the rust has gotten worse and is starting on the other doors. My question: Is this a common problem like the dealer said? I ive in the northeast so that probably doesn't help the situation, but I also can't find any other tauruses or sables with the same problem. I wish there was some recourse- but there are no recalls or TSBs concerning door rust. I also take excellent care of the car: garaged, serviced, and waxed (even inside the doors and frame).

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have had 3 Taurus's (87, 92, 00). Common on all of the ones I have had. I live in the NE also.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
96 LX.... southern new york...no rust on my doors except by the front wheels were paint got chipped from some gravel over time...

·
Registered
341 Posts
97 lx...southern ohio, but the car was bought new and kept for 7 years in ne ohio...got three rust bubbles on the drivers side rear quarterpanel....it was garage kept the whole time. its a ford...its gonna rust :(

any ideas on how to fix it, DIY? i've seen kits at autozone but don't know the first thinga bout body work.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, I guess it is normal for rust to occur in that spot. Just though a 3 year old car shouldn't do that- ever. Usually GMs are the ones wil rust problems.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I have rust above my driver's side rear fender. It started out as little bubbles and is getting progressively worse. I have a 2000 w/ 63K on it. <_< Ford refused to fix mine as well, calling it "common". That's another way of saying "I'm sorry we suck, but we really can't/won't help you."

J

·
0 Posts
Ford won't fix any rust unless it is "perforated", one time I threatened to perforate my rust spot for them and asked if they would fix it then and they said yes, lol. :lol: I never had any rust on my 99 and I had it from October 2002 to August 2003. On the 01 I have now, I got rust on the passenger side rear wheelwell right behind the door because whoever had the car before me backed into something and it hit the wheelwell and bent it and somebody did a really crappy job of fixing it and the paint was chipping. This is when I threatened to perforate the rust so the dealership I got my car from would fix it, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I took it to a body shop by my house and they charged me $107 to repaint my front passenger lower part of the door because it was scrateched, remove the rust spot and repaint the lower part of the fender and also repaint the back of the decklid because of scratches - Awesome deal and the paint was matched PERFECT!! Can't even tell it was done. B)

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
I have seen some rusty GEN3s but lucky for me, it isn't a problem... YET!!! My car spent 2 years down south so it may take a little longer for mine to show.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
its a ford..it'll rust.....I live in southern new york.....I see '84 tempos driving around with no rust...whats that? lol

·
Premium Member
7,308 Posts
I also found out from my buddy at a body shop that the doglegs (the area between the back door & the rear tire well) have a tendency to rust thru from the inside. As was said earlier, ford won't repair it unless its a perforation. This happened on my 00 with 18k on it. I had a different section repaired so I also had the dogleg repaired too by my buddy (a deal for a $150). Even though the paint was starting to bubble and rust on the outside, ford would not repair it unless it was a perforation.
Ever since I've owned ford products (for about 30 years) there's always been rust problems under the doors after 2 or 3 years.

·
Premium Member
689 Posts
It will take a while for the rust to break through. BTW I have the rust under the doors where they fold the sheet metal.

Adam

1 - 11 of 11 Posts