Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever come up with a way to put a light behind the red door reflectors on Gen 4s that turn on with the interior lights.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Pretty sure the answer is no... Even the updated G3 door panel reflectors won't accomodate the OEM door lights that were on the original G3 door panels...

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
It's solid interior-color plastic behind the reflector. It's either snapped or plastic-welded on, but I don't remember which off the top of my head.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
QUOTE (mmmfloorpie @ Mar 3 2009, 09:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705176
Pretty sure the answer is no... Even the updated G3 door panel reflectors won't accomodate the OEM door lights that were on the original G3 door panels...[/b]

For the Gen4, you'd basically be drilling holes in your door to get the wiring and lights set up, and then making a custom reflector to allow light to go through. Basically, anything is possible: expect everything to be custom.

And to expand for the Gen3: 96 had the lights. 97-98 have the wiring and the correct pop-off reflectors so one could, in theory, use the 96 light setup and put it in their bull.

However, all 1999 models (including Early-build) have larger reflectors, no wiring, and the reflectors' clips are melted into the actual door panel, making it impossible to do the swap

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Thinking about it a little more - if one had a Gen 4 with puddle lamps (which no '01s do), the wiring is basically "there." You could get creative and use something like a low profile flat rectangular trailer taillight that was slightly larger than the original reflector, cut a hole in the door panel, and make it work.

I don't know if it's really worth it for something you only see when the door's open and doesn't light up what you're about to step into, but it could definitely be done.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The Reflector is the same size on mine

I know I said I was going to do this.... and I will I just need to wait for warmer weather, I have a plan now since my tabs are broken I am pretty much going to have to glue it on the front but add a screw in the back if i need to change the bulb.

·
Registered
291 Posts
QUOTE (01 Vulcan Ford @ Mar 3 2009, 09:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=705159
Has anyone ever come up with a way to put a light behind the red door reflectors on Gen 4s that turn on with the interior lights.[/b]
I've discovered one of those red door reflectors is missing on my 03. Where can I get them besides Ford? Have been looking online but no luck. It looks like it should just pop right on.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Don't you guys ever vote for cotm?? :dunno:

Check out my Sept cotm guys.........

I put the lights in my gen 4 doors!! :eek:

Used the gen 4 trunk lights and connected them to my puddle light wiring. :)

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
QUOTE (duraSEL @ Aug 31 2009, 08:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=750237
Don't you guys ever vote for cotm?? :dunno:

Check out my Sept cotm guys.........

I put the lights in my gen 4 doors!! :eek:

Used the gen 4 trunk lights and connected them to my puddle light wiring. :)[/b]

I need to do this...

Though how'd you get the red part of it? Paint? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Kevin, I used a red sharpie permanent marker on both sides.
I taped off the front of the lens very carefully. :)

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Hmmm, I'll have to try that :thumb:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
duraSEL,

Do you have pictures of the completed project and can you provide a description of what you did to complete this modification (to include parts obtained)? Is this door lighting for the front doors? Thanks.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I'm thinking of adding door lights to my '05. Problem is, my SE doesn't haven't puddle lamps. So what I'll have to do is run wires from the SJB, aka GEM, into the door. Adding a wire in a parralel circuit to the black and light blue wire right out of the sjb, into the door, and using modified trunk lights should get the look and functionality I'm going for. Kinda always wanted it, and now one of the relfectors came off (I think it's from my girlfriend slamming the passenger side door, just like that trim piece that keeps coming up), so i guess I'll do that instead of glueing the reflector back on.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (goodbrosUIT @ Sep 19 2009, 09:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=754313
I'm thinking of adding door lights to my '05. Problem is, my SE doesn't haven't puddle lamps. So what I'll have to do is run wires from the SJB, aka GEM, into the door. Adding a wire in a parralel circuit to the black and light blue wire right out of the sjb, into the door, and using modified trunk lights should get the look and functionality I'm going for. Kinda always wanted it, and now one of the relfectors came off (I think it's from my girlfriend slamming the passenger side door, just like that trim piece that keeps coming up), so i guess I'll do that instead of glueing the reflector back on.[/b]
It may not have puddle lamps, but the car is pre-wired for heat and light. Do you have remote keyless entry (the remote/clicker)? If so you can tap into the mirror harness in the door already. If not, you'll have to do what you posted above.

·
Registered
833 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ Sep 19 2009, 11:08 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=754317
QUOTE (goodbrosUIT @ Sep 19 2009, 09:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=754313
I'm thinking of adding door lights to my '05. Problem is, my SE doesn't haven't puddle lamps. So what I'll have to do is run wires from the SJB, aka GEM, into the door. Adding a wire in a parralel circuit to the black and light blue wire right out of the sjb, into the door, and using modified trunk lights should get the look and functionality I'm going for. Kinda always wanted it, and now one of the relfectors came off (I think it's from my girlfriend slamming the passenger side door, just like that trim piece that keeps coming up), so i guess I'll do that instead of glueing the reflector back on.[/b]
It may not have puddle lamps, but the car is pre-wired for heat and light. Do you have remote keyless entry (the remote/clicker)? If so you can tap into the mirror harness in the door already. If not, you'll have to do what you posted above.
[/b][/quote]
I was just coming back to correct my previous post after removing the door trim and looking at the connector to find that black and light blue wire does go to the connector. Checked with a test light and, behold!!, this is going to be easier than I thought! Now to go to the bone yard and get a couple lights...

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I did the mod on my 05 SE, very easy :wub:

Though, I didn't color my lights. So they are all clear, looks real good actually. And brightens up everything. Also - a Contour Trunk light will also work. There was only 1 Gen4 Taurus at the junkyard, but a few Contours.

I used a Dremel to cut the holes.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
What do the lenses look like from a contour? Same part?

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Yep, it's in the trunk, located on the top. Some Contours didn't have a trunk light.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts