Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day when I was driving in the rain, the interior dome, reading, and under-dash lights stayed on along with the door open light on the dashboard. I tried opening and closing all the doors to ensure a door was not ajar. Parking the car for several hours did make the lights go off while parked, off, and locked, but the problem was still there when I opened any car door again.

Mysteriously, the next day, the problem solved itself. Any ideas what caused this or how to fix it easily?

I'd like to know what caused it so I can prevent the problem in the future again, especially if it happens at night. With no way to turn off the reading lights other than removing a fuse (which I did not try yet), it could be hazardous driving with the reading lights on at night in the rain.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's a switch that is upside down in your door lock mechanism. It gets stuck with dirt and road gunk and water, etc.. and will get stuck to the open position of the door even though you have the door shut and trying to lock. Spray some electronic's cleaner spray available at Radio Shack, True Value, and other retailers. if you try WD-40 it will free the mechanism up for a few days but will return later. I tried.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Originally posted by Makousa@Jan 9 2004, 05:05 PM
It's a switch that is upside down in your door lock mechanism. It gets stuck with dirt and road gunk and water, etc.. and will get stuck to the open position of the door even though you have the door shut and trying to lock. Spray some electronic's cleaner spray available at Radio Shack, True Value, and other retailers. if you try WD-40 it will free the mechanism up for a few days but will return later. I tried.
WD-40 works permanently for me and many others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts