Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Dynamat is so overpriced.

The same square footage of Hushmat is only about $30 and is available through Amazon. Another great, cheaper alternative is Brown Bread/B-Quiet.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dynamat is so overpriced.

The same square footage of Hushmat is only about $30 and is available through Amazon. Another great, cheaper alternative is Brown Bread/B-Quiet.
I looked at a $30 Hushmat package on amazon.com, and it did not seem to have the same square footage as Dynamat door kit (it was a lot less). I ended up buying the Dynamat door kit. In the end, $50 for both doors is not a big deal.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I looked at a $30 Hushmat package on amazon.com, and it did not seem to have the same square footage as Dynamat door kit (it was a lot less). I ended up buying the Dynamat door kit. In the end, $50 for both doors is not a big deal.
Hushmat's entry level material is thicker than Dynamat's "Xtreme" line. Hushmat, Dynamat, eDead, etc all use the same material, so it comes down to thickness, not length B):p

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, then. If there are any left overs I will apply a second layer of Dynamat ;p

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I tend to agree. If Hushpowers product is anything like the OEM lining I found in my car, I would steer clear of it. Its thin, but thickness does not determine sound deadening qualities. Exact material composition is very important.

Personally, I used some mylar coated bubble insulation, which works well. Hard to say how well it rates as a sound deadening, but I paid $30 for the entire roll. It reduces door rattle on my Aerostar. I would like to try on my Taurus, but I don't want to pull the panels right now.

·
Registered
37 Posts
if I could remember what I bought it was cheaper than dynamat, and actually worked the same!! my 69 fire bird had no rattle with more ampage than a honda with dynamt and less ampage!! though he was pushing two subs and me one!! his 400 watts vs. my 1200... it's all where you place it!!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My kit contains about 12-13 square feet of Dynamat material and costs around $50. For a given price, it's a good deal for me. However, I did a few google searches and it seems like a lot of DIY audio pros are into a sound deadening materials called Second Skin and Raamat. I looked on Raamat web site, and it looks like you can get something like 37 square feet of the material for around $100. So if you're willing to spend this much, per square foot it's actually cheaper than Dynamat. Once I finish all of my ongoing car projects, I might get a pack of Raamat to deaden the trunk and maybe other parts of the car. Taurus does seem to be one of the cars with noisiest interior on the road. Both engine noise and road noise are a little excessive, though not too intrusive usually. I honestly, can't remember a recent car that's as noisy as Taurus. Even 2004 Toyota Corolla is so much quieter. I am not into removing the front seats, but I'll probably deaden the rear doors, rear floor, and then trunk at some point.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Again as shown in those test by Dynamat, square footage is not the measurement you need to go by, sound reduction per square foot is a better measurement. Not saying that Dynamat is the best value, just saying without a real world comparison between the two, the Dynamat might still be the better value.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
This decision should be base on value/price, where value depends on both footage and quality of the product. Now I don't know about other tests, but a lot of people on diymobileaudio.com swear by RAAMmat products. They're sold only through company's web site. There is also something called Second Skin and another one that's extremely expensive but considered the best for quality. But for now I went with Dynamat because I feel their door kit is not a bad value if you can spend only $50. Doors is probably one of the most important places to deaden. Besides reducing noise, the sound deadener creates a kind of a makeshift speaker enclosure that enhances the speakers. I'll apply it this weekend. If I like what I hear I might buy a box or two of 37 sq ft raammat that I have mentioned to treat the rear floors and the trunk. I took off the rear seat this weekend to run a new speaker wire to rear speakers which run off the head unit, and I was amazed just how loud the car is without the rear seat on the road. And if you knock on the metal floor, the sound resonates pretty badly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts