Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only have the ignition key. The car was parked for a couple of years and I don't remember there being more than one key.

I have tried the key I have in the doors and it does not unlock them.

·
Super Moderator
8,588 Posts
Should be the same key for doors and ignition. If the ignition switch lock cylinder was replaced there will be a different key for the door locks and ignition unless a locksmith rekeyed the doors and lock cyl to match.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will get some lube into the locks to see if it's just frozen up.

If not, I assume it's possible to have a locksmith make a key for the doors, or am I screwed?

·
Registered
23,353 Posts
Locks probably seized from non-use. Keep lubing driver and pass. doors, hopefully one will free up. Common problem.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Maybe if you used a pair of pliers to twist the key it will free it up but dont twist too hard you dont want to break anything. Just a suggestion!
No way, my friend. That is a horrible idea, if you can't do it with your hand alone, it needs work. Sure-fire way to break a key.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
are you locked out of the car? if so have you tried teh key in the trunk? some gen 3s (i am pretty sure only the 96-97s... )had a rear seat release lever so that you could lower them. you could gain access that way. im am pretty sure that 99s didnt though so it may not work...

other wise you ould try a locksmith but they may not even be able to get it open if it is siezed really bad. they would likely use a slim jim to unlock it and then suggest a replacement of the lock cylinders.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Liquid wrench freed them both up. The trunk was squirted too but it is not unlocking with the key.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I too once had a Sable where the trunk key was stubborn about unlocking the trunk you do have an auto trunk lock button dont you?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts