Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one know if an exterior door handle from a 96 will fit a 2003?

they look the same. Does any one have any experience, changing them out. Or using one from a different generation?

·
Premium Member
7,048 Posts
Doors match, so do the handles.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Just outta curiousity...
Do any other Ford models (besides the Taurus and Sable) share compatible door handles that'd work on the Gen 4?

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
Nope, just Taurus and Sable handles interchange.

Also be aware that the handles changed in mid-year 2003. '96-early '03 have the same handle, and then late '03-'07 have the later style. Generally, if you have black interior door handles, you've got the later style exterior handle.

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just checked the placard. It was built 2002-09 so it is more of an 02 then an 03 ;)

Chrome int. handles.

OCD Update: Just looked at the placard again. September, no December Doh!

·
Registered
283 Posts
The late 03 to 07 will fit all gen 3 and 4 cars. They will FIT but design wise they are slightly different, the 96 to early 03 have a desighn to them and the late 03 to 07 are smooth and the passenger front has no key hole in it. If u can get a set of those u can switch them all to the smooth style (I like them better). However u will need a early gen 4 or 3 handle to match the design u have.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
QUOTE (echarleswhyte @ Mar 29 2009, 09:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=713479
The late 03 to 07 will fit all gen 3 and 4 cars. They will FIT but design wise they are slightly different, the 96 to early 03 have a desighn to them and the late 03 to 07 are smooth and the passenger front has no key hole in it. If u can get a set of those u can switch them all to the smooth style (I like them better). However u will need a early gen 4 or 3 handle to match the design u have.[/b]

So if an 03 has the passenger side keyhole it's early 03... thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
QUOTE (echarleswhyte @ Mar 29 2009, 09:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=713479
The late 03 to 07 will fit all gen 3 and 4 cars. They will FIT but design wise they are slightly different, the 96 to early 03 have a desighn to them and the late 03 to 07 are smooth and the passenger front has no key hole in it. If u can get a set of those u can switch them all to the smooth style (I like them better). However u will need a early gen 4 or 3 handle to match the design u have.[/b]
You also lost the rubber gasket that went between the door handle and the body when the door handle went smooth and lost the passenger side keyhole on the 12/02+ built cars.

·
Registered
283 Posts
rubber gasket eh? mm have not seen the new ones up close enough to notice that(I rather not cause a problem looking up close at someones door handles in a parking lot, lol) Maybe that is why they look like they sit flusher with the body of the car (apart from being smooth). Dang now I will be on an ever lost quest to find a set of new handles that are colour matched. Or maybe i can get black ones mmm..........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts