Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone removed those ugly things off their doors? i did, and that 3m tape is hell to get off. im putting on sho sides and front along with the back i have. if anyone has removed it, what did you use to take off the 3m tape

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
From past experience, I have used a hairdryer and a hard plastic scraper. I have never used it on a car before but have used it on steel toys, so it should work fine on a car as long as it is metal your getting it off of. I just simply heated up the tape residue and scraped it off after it was warm. Just don't use an industrial heat gun if you don't want to burn your paint. A hairdryer should be the safest thing to use for your paint. Take your time and you will avoid other headaches down the road.
If this doesn't work you may have to resort to the harsh chemical method. Check out the detailing thread in that case.

·
0 Posts
Gasoline, Nail Polish Remover, rubbing alcohol. All good chemicals to remove sticky things.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i thought the same, i love my paint, just not the color. ive also seen people say us a tarnish..im like noooooooooooo, baaad idea, but do what u will and learn

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I have to agree with sfblacksel, use a hairdryer and plastic scraper (plastic kitchen spatula works good). This technique also works for vinyl graphics. The good thing is, if it doesn't work, you haven't ruined your paint or anything.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Try WD 40. It is safe for your paint and is excellent at removing things like tar and serious bug splatters. (A tip from Pat Goss of the MotorWeek show a few years ago). Spray a little on, let it sit for maybe half a minute or so, then try to gently persuade the adhesive with your fingernail or whatever you think is safe to use, maybe a plastic spatula or something....

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I second the WD40. It's practically harmless to your paint. Also GooGone works VERY well at removing most adhesives. For the s***ty dealer sticker on my trunk, I saturated it with GooGone, and then used the edge of my driver's license to gently scrape the vinyl letters off. It also worked for the Peace dove emblem that was on the bumper (previous owner.) That thing was on there TIGHT with the 3M foam adhesive tape. It took 3-4 applications of GooGone to really cut through the adhesive, but it worked.

NOTE: Do NOT use Goof Off in lieu of GooGone. Goof Off is lacquer thinner, GooGone is citrus oil.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts