Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 Ford Taurus I've just recently purchased it from my grandfather it has 70,000 mi on it I have done all the basic maintenance and stuff but there is one thing bothering me every time I close the doors I still have a door ajar light on and the interior light by the driver feet stays on too what is that and how can i fix it

·
Administrator
15,175 Posts
More likely than not the door latch switch is sticking. There are MANY threads here on this subject, the search box is your friend

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Well the switch in the lock mechanism is sticking. You can try to use a light oil like WD40 but it is hard to get to. Replacing switch is a safe but not as easy method. It is the purple switch in the mechanism inside the door. It is right below the latching mechanism that you can see on the side of the door. Spray WD40 in the lower part of the ltach and cycle the door to get it in the switch and maybe it will loosen up.
f0602179.jpg

·
Super Moderator
8,502 Posts
^^^^ Agree 100%

If you pull the door panel off (only takes 5 minutes) you can directly spray the switch with WD40, etc.

·
Registered
23,283 Posts
^+1. But 1st I'd try spraying into each door end latch liberally/profusely with wd-40. If this solves your problem, follow up with some white lithium grease spray for a more long lasting solution. Supertech white grease spray and wd-40 available for cheap at Walmart.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 1998 Ford Taurus I've just recently purchased it from my grandfather it has 70,000 mi on it I have done all the basic maintenance and stuff but there is one thing bothering me every time I close the doors I still have a door ajar light on and the interior light by the driver feet stays on too what is that and how can i fix it

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem with my 98 Lincoln MkVIII
It mostly happens in cold weather. I don’t find the usual plunger switch like my other cars. It might be an electrical contact between the door and the body of the car.
It’s annoying, but I live with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Think i fixd it. I took some pb blaster sprayed it in the lock in the door and in the lock in the outside of the door in all the doors the light went off. Thank god i gotta pass inspection

·
Super Moderator
8,502 Posts
^^^ Just wondering where you live that faulty interior lights will flunk you on an inspection?

Reactions: kekaye56

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
^^^ Just wondering where you live that faulty interior lights will flunk you on an inspection?
Idk if it will jus having the door ajar light on when all the doors are closed I thought would. If it wont awsome

·
Registered
1999 Taurus SE Wagon (dohc, ax4n)
323 Posts
While I used WD-40 for the same issue, I ended up pulling the inner door panel off and using silicone spray. When the weather warms a little bit, I'll open it again and use white lithium grease. WD-40 loves to hold onto dust and it'll build up, causing the same issue again.

Welcome to being a 3rd Gen owner. Oh, and this is Blüe Longroof. We were out the day after it snowed in southern New England.

·
Registered
23,283 Posts
^ Shane, fwiw, you want to spray the wd-40 into the latch at the end of door, not the lock post or keyhole. Also, be careful, pblaster is pretty harsh, that's why wd-40 followed up with white lithium grease spray is recommended. Silicone lube spray would probably work too.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Idk if it will jus having the door ajar light on when all the doors are closed I thought would. If it wont awsome
^ Shane, fwiw, you want to spray the wd-40 into the latch at the end of door, not the lock post or keyhole...
It workd. Pp blaster in all key holes and in the lock mechanism it turned off. Thx for the tip. I bought this car off my cousin its my grandfathers last car he ever owned and its pretty sedimental to me so ill be definitely keeping up on here looking for tips to keep her going for a long while.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Fluid Film is a good lubricant and it’s gentle on that electrical switch. It’s available at Auto Zone or Amazon. Lowe’s has it sometimes too. Also spray it on the undercarriage as a rust preventive.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had the same problem on a 2003 Sable that my daughter inherited from her grandmother. The problem was a sticking door latch as mentioned. The big problem was when driving and the door seemed latched, it was not. The door would fly open when turning right! It was a cold weather issue so I imagine that there was some original lubricant that was not up to working in cold temperatures. Tried to soak with spray lubricant, but the latch seemed to be enclosed and hidden in door. Before taking the door off, I just removed one of the screws that held the latch in and shot spray lubricant in there. It seemed to have done the trick as I have not received any calls from college that "my door flew open again!". I'd give that a try before removing the door panel.

·
Registered
7,221 Posts
Had the same problem on a 2003 Sable that my daughter inherited from her grandmother. The problem was a sticking door latch as mentioned. The big problem was when driving and the door seemed latched, it was not. The door would fly open when turning right! It was a cold weather issue so I imagine that there was some original lubricant that was not up to working in cold temperatures. Tried to soak with spray lubricant, but the latch seemed to be enclosed and hidden in door. Before taking the door off, I just removed one of the screws that held the latch in and shot spray lubricant in there. It seemed to have done the trick as I have not received any calls from college that "my door flew open again!". I'd give that a try before removing the door panel.
Did that years ago Easy Way to Lube Door Latch Assembly

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yup Automender, I think that is the thread I followed. Much appreciated. This forum has been great to learn about these vehicles. Seeing that I dropped the transmission to replace the torque converter in this vehicle, I'd say I'm mechanically inclined. But it is the little things and tricks that come for experiences that help the most.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts