Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everybody i am dennis from A,dam as you can see , well excuse my English ,it is maybe not to good.
Yesterday i have bought an mercury sable from 1992 imported from the states,it is an beauty .
But i have got no book whit the car who explanes the car,
and i dont know in what gear to drive it is so :pNRdD1,european cars have got PNRD321, for me this is a great problem for you maybe oh so funny ,further would i like to have a '"problemsolverbook" .
If anyone could help me out , i will be so thankfull

thanks allready Dennis :( :unsure:

·
Registered
517 Posts
(park) (neutral) (reverse) (over drive) (drive) (first)

over drive is your main gear

dive is what you use if there is alot of large hills and you car keeps down shifting.

·
Registered
517 Posts
probably something to do with emisions

o2 sencer
egr valve
mass air

there is a ecm reader for them i belive that will give you a code and tell you exactly

if you change any of the above you must reset the computer by disconecting the battery for about 15 min or so

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by dennis from amsterdam@Jun 4 2004, 01:12 PM
Thnx now i dare too really drive, oh sometimes the car say,s check engine , what must i check?
See if you have an Autoparts store near where you live that can read the Check Engine codes. They will take a special device that will hook up to the computer in your car which will tell you a special code that can be looked up to tell you why the check engine light is on.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Well Dennis, 1st of all WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!!!!!

Alot of us over here in the states don't know which gear to drive in either so I would say just pick one. .....I AM just kidding!!!

P...park is for not going anywhere or for when you are done going where you were going... for when you're done driving...yeah.

R...reverse...my personal favorite....this is for getting out of parking spots or driveways, like at home.

N...neutral....well, other than being used for checking transmission fluid level(s) this gear is pretty much useless

P R N D 2 1 no P R N D 3 2 1 hmmmm oh sorry forgot where I left off....ok

D or o/D(overdrive)....depending how your car is labeled the D is usually for overdrive, most of the tauruses/sables over here have 4 speed automatics. Either way this gear is mainly for hiway(freeway) speeds
of about 45-50 mph and above. you'll have to do the conversion to kph

Now I believe your car is going to have a 2 next so...

2...this ends up being your everyday go everywhere gear(at least for me it is) the reason I say this is because I have seen soooo many transmission failures due to overdrive failure. Taurus/Sables #1 problem is transmission failure. Thats not to say that is WHY they fail,
anyway thats the gear I use most of the time. The main speed limit around here is 35 mph on a normal thoroughfare(street) most people usually dive about 40-45 mph on a normal street, the distances between most stop lights gives the transmission just enough time to go through all 4 gears and then start making your stop, which gives the overdrive enough time to kick in and then right back out, enough of these in and out cycles over a period of time will over work the overdrive unit and will cause overdrive failure, thus causing transmission failure. whew..

1...this is mainly used for towing or pulling but you probably won't be doing much of that with your taurus/sable.

I hope my explanation of the working of the gear selector has helped you out some, if you couldn't understand anything i wrote don't worry
half the people in the club that read my stuff don't either. kidding again.
you need to find you either , or both a chilton's manual or a haynes manual to read. I think you can find a link on the home page to the club. Any way like I said I hope I helped you out, if not just stick the thing in R and go!!!! WEEEHAAA oh yeah 1nce again :banana: WELCOME TO THE CLUB!!!!!! :chili:

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Never drive your car in 1 gear unless you are towing something and don't plan on driving faster than 2 mph. Keep it in D or OD

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are you sure? The book on my bull says I can safely go up to 35mph in 1st gear, which I have several times (actually faster) with no problems.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Wilcome to the club! Hope you enjoy that Sable. I know there's another member here from Poland(?) and he has a Sable, but the gov't wants him to make the lights match the strict laws (amber rear turn signals and remove the front lightbar). But that front lightbar is what makes the car so special. Anyways, you can get the owner's manual off eBay. My Sable didn't come with one, so I got one off eBay for $10 US. And I wouldn't recommend using 1st gear unless you're decending a small hill.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Hi Dennis,
Assuming you are in Amsterdam, NL welcome. I use to live in Den Haag for 3 years while my dad worked for ING/NN. Congrats on the Sable purchase. I know two service stations over there that deal with American cars. I can get the names for you if you care. Did the dutch government require you to remove the lights outa the light bar yet?

Goed geluk en gelukwensen!

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
^^ Well because umm...its a transmission and is geared to go like no more than 35 in first. The engine redlines at like 39MPH I think.

-Kyle

·
Registered
352 Posts
Originally posted by kjw86ca@Jun 4 2004, 07:53 PM
^^ Well because umm...its a transmission and is geared to go like no more than 35 in first. The engine redlines at like 39MPH I think.

-Kyle
Well why cant you drive it at 39mph??

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dein english ist gut, mann weiss was du brauchst.

Wilkomen zu taurus club. Viel spass mit deinem sable, und wie alle sagen, benuetz das erste d, nach dem n. das ist der overdrive und ist meist genutzed, in dem anderen D benuetz es viel mehr gas (cant remember the word in german).

(tuht mir leit, aber mein deutsch ist beschissen, bin schon seit '91 hier)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by 91MercSable3.8L@Jun 4 2004, 09:54 PM
Dein english ist gut, mann weiss was du brauchst.

Wilkomen zu taurus club. Viel spass mit deinem sable, und wie alle sagen, benuetz das erste d, nach dem n. das ist der overdrive und ist meist genutzed, in dem anderen D benuetz es viel mehr gas (cant remember the word in german).

(tuht mir leit, aber mein deutsch ist beschissen, bin schon seit '91 hier)
And for all of us German speaking impaired, i present the Babel Fish translation :D

Yours english is well, man white which you needs. Wilkomen too taurus club. Much fun with your sable, and as all say, use the first D, after the n. that is the overdrive and is usually genutzed, in the other D use it much more gas (more remember the cant word in German). (tuht me lead, but mine is German beschissen, is already since '91 here)

B

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the club! The other people have given you a really good explanation of gear selection, so I'll only answer your question about the "problem solver book". First off, there's manuals available from Haynes, and Chilton's, as someone recommended. I also have a Compact Disc version that is directly from Ford for that year. If you'd like that, I can make a copy and mail it to you.

If you'd like me to mail it to you, click the button at the bottom of this reply labeled "PM" and send me a message.

Amsterdam--isn't there stuff that's legal there that's not here? :)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit+Jun 4 2004, 10:32 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Firespirit @ Jun 4 2004, 10:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-hightecredneck@Jun 4 2004, 10:16 PM

"Yours english is well, man white which you needs."
:lol: :lol: :lol: That is the funniest thing I've heard all day.... [/b][/quote]
Yeah i know, i though the Babel Fish translation was pretty funny so i just had to post it. :lol2:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You people are killing me , the language we absolutely don't speak is german but it is dutch, and that is also not in Poland ........you Americans really make me laugh , everybody thanks for all the info.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts