Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing it people, I'm swaping my 3.0L Vulcan for a 3.2L Yamaha SHO. If you have done it, give me advice/tips, anything. Also a little guidence would be helpfull. Thanks much everyone. I will post pictures and what I'm doing as I do it.

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Good luck! It's been covered many times, but I don't think anyone's done it sucessfully. Swap the whole subframe for best results.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i hear the way to do this is to have an entire SHO parts car to pull from. i think the only 'hard' thing would be installing the clutch/brake pedal assembly. good luck Peace_Corey

·
Premium Member
2,492 Posts
Pictures. Many many pictures...

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
Get yourself the MTX transmission. No point in doing it w/o the better gearbox. Ask away, we're here to help!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
You've said you're going to do it, now let's see some results. How much is the engine/trans/subframe assembly going to cost you? Remember to factor in gobs of money for incidentals.

I can't wait to see the results, but after being a member of this site for over a year, I've kinda gotten tired of seeing people saying that they'll be doing this kind of stuff and then not coming through with it...prove me wrong, though!

JR

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes I'm going to be doing it, a friend of mine is puting a 4.9L Caddy motor in his 84 Fiero so its a joint project, I will for sure update with pictures but you will have to wait so i can get all the parts, im going with a 3.2LSHO with an ATX tranny. Advice is helpfull and thanks for the backing guys, I won't let you down. A little time, within a couple months I'm hoping. I might just swap out the whole subframe but I'm not sure yet. Anyways thanks again.
Ryan

·
Premium Member
5,758 Posts
Its been done.. Some guy named Hobby Farmer or something like that had a GL with a SHO engine. I think someone from one of the SHO boards did the swap and then sold it. I wish they would have kept the voting threads so we can remember what it looked like.

Its been done so its been proven to be possible. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
I remember that car. It looked bone stock except for dual exhausts and a SHO cluster. It even had the stock GL wheels, column shift, and front bench!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Yep. There are several really cool engine swaps you can do with a Fiero. People laugh at first... until they see nothing but an 80's car blur flying past them.

Good luck with the SHO swap. Can't wait to see how it turns out!!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Sorry to change topics. But I was wondering if the subframe with the engine in its place from a Gen. 2 SHO might fit in a Gen. 3 Taurus/Sable?

Frank

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does anyone wanna help fund this little shin-dig that I'm taking on? lol I wish there was a collection for this.
-Ryan

G

·
Originally posted by MrBebop26@Sep 24 2004, 10:48 AM
Yes I'm going to be doing it, a friend of mine is puting a 4.9L Caddy motor in his 84 Fiero so its a joint project
LOL I dont know if anyone of you guys has IMed me on AIM or AOL. But I used to be a FIERO GURU! Seen a lot of 4.9L Swaps. Northstar Swaps. 350, and believe it or not... 454 swaps in a Fiero.

The Best Swaps are the 3.8L GTP Supercharged 3800II Motor, Northstar Caddy Motor, 350 Motor, and my favorite 2.3LDOHC HO QUAD4 (185HP in a fourbanger)

Sal AKA FieroSal AKA FieroCarnage...

-----------------------------------------------
R.I.P.
1987 Pontiac Fiero 2.5L Converted to 2.3L HO QUAD4.

G

·
Sorry to change topics. But I was wondering if the subframe with the engine in its place from a Gen. 2 SHO might fit in a Gen. 3 Taurus/Sable?

evn though its not possible to have the V6, did you forget about the V8 SHO motor?

Yes I'm going to be doing it, a friend of mine is puting a 4.9L Caddy motor in his 84 Fiero so its a joint project
e

wow i can only imagine if he used the newer 32 valve Northstar (4.6) 300hp baby :D

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Will that even fit? I mean is that even in the same gen?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Originally posted by jedhead+Sep 24 2004, 11:44 PM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jedhead @ Sep 24 2004, 11:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-sable97@Sep 24 2004, 11:31 PM

Frank
No [/b][/quote]
I think why it wont fit is the lower control arms are different on the Gen II SHO subframe. The Gen III Subframe uses an integrated ball joint into the steering knuckle (iirc) and the Gen II does not. It may be possible to swap the complete front suspesion (struts, springs, swaybars, rack, etc) and get around the problem that way but Ive never had a good look at a Gen III subframe. I know other than that it should bolt up and fit correctly. You would obviously have to use the SHO powertrain and transmission.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts