Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Taurus, and about half the time when I start it up & go to shift out of park the button doesn't want to go in so that I can shift. Usually I can just try pressing it a few times an it works but others I have to give it a goo whack to get the button to go in. Where should I start :dunno: ?

·
Super Moderator
8,228 Posts
Check to see if the brake lights work when the pedal is depressed. If they dont, replace the the brake switch and check for broken wires at the switch (check for broken wires first before replacing switch). If brake lights work, check for a SIL solenoid problem.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check to see if the brake lights work when the pedal is depressed. If they dont, replace the the brake switch and check for broken wires at the switch (check for broken wires first before replacing switch). If brake lights work, check for a SIL solenoid problem.
[/b]
I don't believe it is the brake switch as releasing and pressing the brakes several times has no effect, but sometimes, just moving the shift lever around will make a click noise & the button will go in fine.

I will check the brake lights next time it happens though. Also what / where is the SIL solenoid.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brake lights do come on, tried 4 times, brake lights popped on as expected, but I couldn't press in the button.

I'm going to guess the SIL solenoid is somewhere in the center console below shifter correct?

·
Registered
145 Posts
You're not parking on a slope are you? I've found that with weight on the tranny it won't shift readily no matter what vehicle it is.

·
Registered
283 Posts
mm parking on a slope does put weight on the tranny that is what the parking brake is for. i use it all the time even on automatics. i press it on before i take my foot of the brake that way no stress on the parking pin

·
Premium Member
7,800 Posts
If the park pawl has weight on it, you should still be able to push the button...it would make the shifter itself hard to move.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts