Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just some simple stuff my 96 GL does...

1) Whenever it rains, the driver side door handle either doesnt work or is very tough to open for a day or so following the rain.

2) When I hit a large puddle on the passanger side, the power steering fails for several seconds and the voltage light comes on, sometimes its also followed by stumbling throttle

3) Tranny shifts somewhat rough (I think they all do this...even my dads 02 Duratec doesnt shift smoothly)

4) Parking brake light only illuminates when it chooses to, which means theres usually no reminder and i start to drive away with it still on :huh:

5) Last time i got an oil change they said the transmission is leaking, but my car sits in the same spot everyday and every night and i've never any fluid on the ground

6) trunk leaks just a little bit

7) rust forming on the passanger side door beam

I'm sure I can think of more later

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Mine has never done any of those things. :blink:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Regarding number 6:
For a long time I thought my trunk leaked, too, because after a rain there would be a puddle in the side of my trunk behind the right rear wheel. Later I found out the trunk seal was not the problem. I finally figured out that there is a little rubber gromet in the floor of the trunk that had eroded away, letting water in when the tire kicked water up onto it. Check to see if that is why your trunk leaks.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hmm.... mine does #1 occasionally, #4 rather frequently and I do have an oil leak that doesn't make puddles on the floor. :lol:

*edit*

Strange you have rust already.... I have NO RUST on my 96, where are you from?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Mine does #2 when I go through huge puddles I wish I didn't go through...but lets face it its a fair trade off to majorly splash the sucker...er person walking on the footpath hehehehe :evil_grin:

G

·
Originally posted by lithium100@Jun 13 2004, 10:16 PM
Just some simple stuff my 96 GL does...

1) Whenever it rains, the driver side door handle either doesnt work or is very tough to open for a day or so following the rain.

2) When I hit a large puddle on the passanger side, the power steering fails for several seconds and the voltage light comes on, sometimes its also followed by stumbling throttle

3) Tranny shifts somewhat rough (I think they all do this...even my dads 02 Duratec doesnt shift smoothly)

4) Parking brake light only illuminates when it chooses to, which means theres usually no reminder and i start to drive away with it still on  :huh:

5) Last time i got an oil change they said the transmission is leaking, but my car sits in the same spot everyday and every night and i've never any fluid on the ground

I'm sure I can think of more later
1 - weird - I would have to imagine you have a problem with the lubcrication on the handle that is affected by wetness (obviously)

2 - That is most likely because your serpentine belt is getting wet and causes the pulleys to slip (power steering and alternator) - might want to get a new belt, but as long as your belt is not frayed and in good condition it's probably nothing to worry about.

3 - probably normal, but it is recommended to flush your tranny and replace the filter every 30k miles, so if you aren't having any problems with the actual shifting and/or slippage and you don't have high mileage you may want to consider getting a flush and filter change. However, if you have high mileage, sometimes the particles in the fluid are the only thing keeping it working. If you say that the shifts are similar to your dad's 02, then your tranny is probably doing OK. Another recommendation is to put in a tranny cooler - this helps prolong the life of your transmission by making it run cooler but, again, you may not want to mess with it if the mileage is high.

4 - don't know anything about this

5 - might want to try parking on some cardboard that is clean and see if anything drips overnight - the oil change place could have just been trying to sell you some other service you don't need or something - hard to tell

6 - I don't know anything about the trunk leakage problem, but if you use the search feature of our forum you will probably find something about it - I remember a few others having this issue.

7 - don't know what to tell you about the rust :(

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm from St. Louis and the rust is very minor, the car has 101K on it, 94,000 by a 50 year old guy who prolly never had it over 65, the other 7,000 by me, a 16 year old punk who prolly drives it wayy harder than it should be driven :p ...I paid $2,600 for it in October...great deal considering it runs great still and has not needed anything relpaced yet (besides brakes)...I should have around 6-7k to spend in January so I'll prolly sell this and get either a...

-97+ Jeep Cherokee
-95+ Nissan Maxima
-00+ Taurus DOHC
-99+ V6 Stang...I know, but they're cheap :)

·
Premium Supporter
1,162 Posts
Originally posted by lithium100@Jun 13 2004, 09:45 PM

-97+ Jeep Cherokee
-95+ Nissan Maxima
-00+ Taurus DOHC
Dont get a Jeep. I drove a 2003 Dodge Durango with less than 30k on it for awhile and it was a POS and it actually gets worse gas milage than an Excursion if you can believe that. The Jeep and Durango are related.

I know someone with a 1997 Jeep and it has the I-6 and they are getting under 15MPG in Hwy driving...they also ride kinda rough, even for an SUV. Unless you have really researched and driven one throughly, I wouldn't recommend it.

-Kyl

G

·
Originally posted by lithium100@Jun 13 2004, 10:45 PM
I'm from St. Louis and the rust is very minor, the car has 101K on it, 94,000 by a 50 year old guy who prolly never had it over 65, the other 7,000 by me, a 16 year old punk who prolly drives it wayy harder than it should be driven :p ...I paid $2,600 for it in October...great deal considering it runs great still and has not needed anything relpaced yet (besides brakes)...I should have around 6-7k to spend in January so I'll prolly sell this and get either a...

-97+ Jeep Cherokee
-95+ Nissan Maxima
-00+ Taurus DOHC
Ah, I see...

I'd go with the Duratec Taurus or the Jeep Cherokee, you didn't ask for my opinion, but I gave it! :p I haven't heard good things about the Maximas as far as quality/holding up, etc. and a V6 stang is... well a V6 stang. :p However, something like a loaded 2000 or 01 Taurus SEL could probably be had in your price range and I think that would be a very good buy. :) B)

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have heard excellent things about Maximas. All of Nissan for that matter. Nissan has really been impressing me lately. I would definately be looking into Nissans if I were in the market. B)

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Screwed Nissan! lol...get a 2001 Taurus or Sable with the Duratec. You'll be very happy.

As for the Durango and Jeep being related, in what way do you mean?

As for number 6, that used to happen on my old Topaz. It was the rubber plug that someone else suggested. It had rotten away and needed to be replaced. That was all, and the trunk was never wet again...

JR

G

·
Originally posted by Firespirit@Jun 14 2004, 09:37 AM
Actually, if you had the money, I'd go with a grand am GT or a grand prix GT. Those are fast, yet sporty.
Depending on the years... those were very problematic cars...

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
If you are intereted in modifying a car and making it fast, the 'stang is a plausable option. If you've visited the EEC and Computer Tuning section of the Performance forum, Alberto at American Motorsport has a V6 mustang he has tuned and superchanged himself. It's a 12 second car if I recall.

-Dan

G

·
Originally posted by lithium100@Jun 13 2004, 06:45 PM
I should have around 6-7k to spend in January so I'll prolly sell this and get either a...

-97+ Jeep Cherokee
-95+ Nissan Maxima
-00+ Taurus DOHC
The maxima is the quickest, best handling, and most reliable of that group, therefore I suggest you take the maxima :D If you look around, you should be able to get a 98ish for how much you have.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts

Sounds weird, maybe needs to be lubed.....

Belt Is slipping, search it on google, alot of cars do it.

Unhook your battery, Drive it the way you usually do for about 10 miles, if you have a floor shifter turn overdrive off, then shift thru 1, 2, D, then overdrive on at the points you want the transmission to shift... It may not be a totally adapting transmission but I did this and the car does shift better. I find my tranny loves to have the crap beat out of it, but if I drive it does shift clumsy. Also turn overdrive off around town, that will limit yours shifts. These trannys need a City/Highway mode

4) Parking brake light only illuminates when it chooses to, which means theres usually no reminder and i start to drive away with it still on

Switch is bad, wires are loose, switch is loose...I've had it happen on many cars..

Keep an eye on your fluid level, do the cardboard trick, watch for spots where tranny fluid could gather...I have heard a 1 or 2 people have the tranny housings crack causing it to seep fluid....check your pan gasket as well, if you had the fluid changed it may have just gotten a bad seal.

Mine did not leak until I replaced the rear glass "vent"...the small window in the back, its only held in by 3 bolts and the seal is a black goo, If its been replaced it may have a bad seal could be from the factory as well....I think this would explain why you dont see leaks in the Sables....as they dont have these windows.

After hearing abotu the leak, and now this...Its possible the vehical could have been in an accident, the door could have or may be rubbing against it causing the paint to be scratched thus creating a nice place for rust.....Or your door hinges are out of whack.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Originally posted by XLSuruaT+Jun 14 2004, 11:46 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (XLSuruaT @ Jun 14 2004, 11:46 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-lithium100@Jun 13 2004, 06:45 PM
I should have around 6-7k to spend in January so I'll prolly sell this and get either a...

-97+ Jeep Cherokee
-95+ Nissan Maxima
-00+ Taurus DOHC
-99+ V6 Stang...I know, but they're cheap  :)
The maxima is the quickest, best handling, and most reliable of that group, therefore I suggest you take the maxima :D If you look around, you should be able to get a 98ish for how much you have. [/b][/quote]
It also has lousy insurance rates, gets fairly bad gas mileage, and is expensive to repair.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts