Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well i have a green coolant leak and its dripping at the front left of my car, coolant only leaks when my car is warm not when cold. when i turn the car off it leaks and then stops in about 5 minutes that sounds like a hose to me because if the radiator was leaking am very sure all my coolant would have leaked and i would have to keep add coolant every time i drive right? that's not the case with my situation, i have to add half a gallon of coolant like every 4 - 7 days.

So where do you guys think the coolant is leaking from?

Ford Taurus 1996 OHV v6 3.0l.

also doubt am overfilling because when my car needs coolant the car will go near the H on the temp, when i add coolant it stays in the middle.

the leak is coming from the passenger side

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Given the age of your car anything is game here. I would plan for worst case scenario, radiator. Since none of us on this forum can take a peek I would pressure test the cooling system and verify where the leak is coming from.

Or you can verify this by removing the splash shield, with a flashlight and verify if its a hose or not. Car warmed-up of course.

Monsoon

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
well i have a green coolant leak and its dripping at the front left of my car, coolant only leaks when my car is warm not when cold. when i turn the car off it leaks and then stops in about 5 minutes that sounds like a hose to me because if the radiator was leaking am very sure all my coolant would have leaked and i would have to keep add coolant every time i drive right? that's not the case with my situation, i have to add half a gallon of coolant like every 4 - 7 days.

So where do you guys think the coolant is leaking from?

Ford Taurus 1996 OHV v6 3.0l.

also doubt am overfilling because when my car needs coolant the car will go near the H on the temp, when i add coolant it stays in the middle.

There are a LOT of possibilitys. what i would do if i were you first is to
remove the splash shield under the radiator. THis will allow you to see up into the radiator area from the bottom. power wash off you motor
to get a clean start at looking for fresh issues.

Run the car and get under it and look for wet spots and listen for
a hissing noise. A radiator pressure test may also help reveal where the leak is.

You said its on the drivers side. Its important to know where. Is it just under the radiator? back toward the firewall?

If its way forward, i would look closely at the seem on the radiator tank
and the upper radiator hose.

If its further back, it could be the thermostat. Or the area just to the firewall side of the thermostat where the heat sensor senders are
That little pipe can rot out and leak. If its more by the firewall, it could be
the heater bypass hoses of fittings. I had a leaking Plastic T fitting on
my 97 that would only leak under pressure

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are a LOT of possibilitys. what i would do if i were you first is to
remove the splash shield under the radiator. THis will allow you to see up into the radiator area from the bottom. power wash off you motor
to get a clean start at looking for fresh issues.

Run the car and get under it and look for wet spots and listen for
a hissing noise. A radiator pressure test may also help reveal where the leak is.

You said its on the drivers side. Its important to know where. Is it just under the radiator? back toward the firewall?

If its way forward, i would look closely at the seem on the radiator tank
and the upper radiator hose.

If its further back, it could be the thermostat. Or the area just to the firewall side of the thermostat where the heat sensor senders are
That little pipe can rot out and leak. If its more by the firewall, it could be
the heater bypass hoses of fittings. I had a leaking Plastic T fitting on
my 97 that would only leak under pressure
its on the passenger side

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
its on the passenger side
Common leaks on the pasenger side (right side).

degass tank cracks on bottom and leaks
water pump wears eccentric and leaks from seal or weep hole
heater core bypass hoses leak.
radiator side tank leaking at crimp seal

·
Registered
23,355 Posts
Getting a vulcan (or any car for that matter) near the H on the temp. gauge is not a good thing- Martha Stewart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts