Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
474 Posts
Or at least some kind of line on there?
Yes, it has light markings all the way to 30 degrees. The easiest way to find TDC is to look for the missing tooth on the tone ring on the balancer, it will correspond with TDC

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Yes, it has light markings all the way to 30 degrees. The easiest way to find TDC is to look for the missing tooth on the tone ring on the balancer, it will correspond with TDC
Please explain how the missing tooth is related to TDC.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
take some baby/talcum powder and rub the external circumference of the balancer, the marks will show up, in white. then just use a socket/ratchet to turn the front crank bolt to line the pointer up with the 0 mark. 0 is TDC, but the timing is set to 10 degrees, and is unadjustable on yr models after 95.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
nope
That groove is for the crank sensor(round thing just above it), and senses differently. use the marks on the flat part of the balancer, much easier. on yours you might have to take a wire brush to it to see the marks.

similar to this, 0 goes on the pointer.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I think I figured it out - here's a picture:
rudedog is right. The balancer needs to turn clockwise for another 10-30 degrees (not sure of exact number). According to Ranger forum, 5th tooth from the missing tooth is TDC. That's the last tooth (leftmost) on your photo lining up with CKP.

I took a photo of what appears to be the TDC marker. http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/87-engine-drivetrain/161879-timing-mark-balancer.html
The photo was taken from under the car, lying on the back. This seems to agree with the CKP/5th tooth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts