Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, does anyone know if the 2001 Taurus SE (3.0 OHV, VIN "U") have a Fuel Pump Driver Module ? I have a crank no-start which I had figured is the fuel pump (after not getting enough pressure to the schrader valve) and in doing some research I saw a web link that mentioned a Fuel Pump Driver Module on a 2002 Taurus. Anyone know? If there is a Fuel Pump Driver Module on our 2001 Taurus, is there a way to check/test it? Thanks in advance for all the help

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
2001 does not have a FPDM. First unplug the IFS and make sure you are getting power on one of the wires when you cycle the key (easy to do with a test light). You checked the fuse (#16) and the relay already, right?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have one on my 2000, I don't know when they stopped using them.

Don't forget the inertia switch too!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah we checked the fuse & swapped relays. Made sure the inertia switch had not popped to shut the fuel off, but I didn't think to check for power on the wires. We do hear the fuel pump come on when we turn the key, but I'm not getting the correct fuel pressure at the schrader (**Note, I had difficulty getting the fuel pressure tester fitting on the schrader valve when I checked, got gas all over, so I don't know if I can trust that reading. Gonna borrow a better fuel pressure gauge from my neighbor & retest). Since I am told now that there isn't a Fuel Pump Driver Module, then if fuel pressure is low I figure it has to be the pump ?? Thoughts?? Could anything else effect the fuel pump to reduce the pressure

·
Registered
53 Posts
What does "^+1" mean? I'm guessin it is a way of agreeing with a previous post.
I have been on several other message boards but this board is the first one I've noticed using this wording.
Just curious, Thanks
Andy

·
Registered
697 Posts
Does it fire at all? If your pump is working even if you have restrictions in the fuel filter or injectors, any fuel at all should cause it to run rough or fire irregularly. No firing would seem to be an ignition problem if the pump is running when you turn the key to ignition.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, its a long story so I'll give you the short version: car ran great for years then had the fuel pump go out. Changed out just the pump motor(not the whole assembly) and new filter socks. Car started & ran fine. Didn't need the car/let it sit for a few months. Then tried to start it & the battery dead. Tried to start with battery jumped & it would crank but no start. Car would/will start using starter fluid up the air intake, but is would pop & backfire and then die. Changed the fuel filter-still no start. Went back to spraying starter fluid and the car would start & seem to run a little longer each time but was still popping/backfiring. Let the car sit for a few days & now back to crank/no start. We do hear the fuel pump whirr sound when we turn the key to on so we c hecked fuel pressure & got a verly low reading/koeo. However it was hard to get the pressure tester fitting onto the schrader valve so I wasn't sure if I had a good connection. going to try again with another fuel pressure tester. Anyone know what else I could/should check?

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
Make sure your battery is fully charged and not internally shorted. Low battery voltage translates to low fuel pump voltage and possible start issues.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Make sure your fuel is okay, I know it seems like a simple conclusion but my 69 T bird wouldn't run/would run like crap for about a month and then I gave it a splash of fresh premium and bam! No more problems. All of the sh!t they put in gas these days, mainly ethanol, means it doesn't last very long if It sits. Like sometimes it only takes a month of sitting for it to run like garbage or not run at all. I see it at work too, people bring in their mowers and they say they won't run, first thing I check is the gas, atleast 7/10 times all I have to do is dump out the bad gas and put in some fresh gas, give it a shot of Ether to help it start and it runs like a champ again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,234 Posts
I have one on my 2000, I don't know when they stopped using them.
I discovered this by accident, all 2000 and up X code (AX4N stamped on bottom pan) transaxle models have a fuel pump driver module. After searching a junkyard full of Taurus/Sables, I found no AX4S models had one or wiring to plug one in. Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh, I should have mentioned that I did get a new battery and we are still at the crank no start spot. I got a little bottle of octange booster in case it was an issue with the gas, but no luck. But maybe a gallon of Premium is worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
Okay, I looked it up. It looks like all 2000-2007 cars have a FPDM EXCEPT for 2001. So 2000 and 2001 were definitely oddball years.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts