Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Good day all,

I have been researching lately on why my ABS light never came on during the self-test, or at all for that matter. I was hunting around on the encyclopedia part, and later realized that the Tauri and Sable's of Gen.3 only had ABS if it was a wagon, or was purchased as an option with 4 wheel disc. My car has rear drum brakes.

For all this time, I assumed that the ABS system was working, and maybe the bulb had burned out. Now I see that the car probably doesn't have any ABS at all, because when it comes to mixed options, my car is loaded with half GS and half LS options. It's an LS with the Vulcan engine :huh:

Was just wondering if anybody else was aware of this.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
If you have one, is located under the battery tray...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You mean the ABS module is under the battery tray?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Later built 99 Tauruses and Sables could have ABS, but Ford swapped to the disc/drum config for sedans.

Wagons always had 4 wheel disc all the way around w/ and w/o ABS. 96-early 99 sedans with ABS had 4 wheel disc, otherwise drum/disc.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
You mean the ABS module is under the battery tray?
That's where mine sits... Big block with electrical and hydraulic connections.
96 Sable LS, but I have Duratec and discs all around. In 99 they where cutting back prices (and therefore the production costs).

·
Registered
23,578 Posts
I have a 98 sable tec gs with 4 wheel disc and abs and a 99 taurus tec with front disc, rear drum and abs? Also have another 98 sable tec ls disc/drum non abs. A 98 taurus tec loaded to the gills, disc/drum non abs. And another 99 taurus tec disc/drum non abs. The early build 99 has dual exhaust, rear swaybar and od off button on the shifter. The late build 99 has none of those things. Go figure!?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts