Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a stunning 1995 Ford Taurus SE with the 3.0 V6, floor shift, crystalin head lamps, etc on salvagedirect.com It's been hit just slightly on the right front. Take a look: http://www.salvagedirect.com/asp/viewitem....d=554845&bhcp=1

I'm getting my dealers/dismantalers license very soon, but not soon enough to buy this incredible find. God I hope one of our members gets it, this is a very rare and breathtaking car and I'd hate to see it go to the junk yard.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rare because:

1995 was the first year of the SE and the only year on that gen.

3.0 Vulcan on an SE is rare, most had the Essex

Floor shifter with a Vulcan (as pointed out) is rare

And lastly the excelent condition of the car aside from the very fixable light damage.

TRUE story: This pissed me off so bad (that I couldnt bid on the car) that I called the Mississippi state tax commission and had them send me an application for a dealers/dismantalers license. I've been toying with the idea of starting my own buisness and with deals like this up for grabs, I cant find any reasons not to.

I have a good freind who needs a decent, good-gas mileage sedan and I'd probably let her drive my 1993 Taurus GL and I'd keep this 1995 SE for myself. The only things I'd change: Put my 1999 SE wheels on it, 120 MPH spedo, and later put full leather instead of the leather-on-cloth it appears to have now.

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Ok the link said the auction had ended and the high bid was $100, you mean to tell me that someone bought that car for only $100! :eek: Holy crap, salvage title or not, thats a hell of a deal.

BTW, a salvaged vehicle can still be registered to drive on the streets right? Does the salvage part mean it can't be sold to the public or what?

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by mike@Sep 3 2004, 01:47 PM
Ok the link said the auction had ended and the high bid was $100, you mean to tell me that someone bought that car for only $100! :eek: Holy crap, salvage title or not, thats a hell of a deal.

BTW, a salvaged vehicle can still be registered to drive on the streets right? Does the salvage part mean it can't be sold to the public or what?
A Salvage title means it's been in a wreck, or recieved damages.. It's fine to fix it up and ride it around legally, but if you don't fix it up, I believe they won't let you drive it legally. It has to be in a safe working condition.

·
Registered
746 Posts
actually i think that once a car has a salvage title it is done for. it can be bought, sold, or traded, but not driven. you can get parts off of it, you can turn it into a race car, or whatever you want as long as it isnt driven on the road

at least that is the way things were explained to me in NC

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Originally posted by hoss@Sep 3 2004, 07:40 PM
actually i think that once a car has a salvage title it is done for. it can be bought, sold, or traded, but not driven. you can get parts off of it, you can turn it into a race car, or whatever you want as long as it isnt driven on the road

at least that is the way things were explained to me in NC
Thats what I thought as well. I wonder if the car is fixed back to normal and then inspected or something, if the title can be reversed or at least amended to be able be driven on the roads. That would be pretty cool, but I doubt it's possible given the amount of fraud and such that goes on with these kind of cars.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
a salvage title can be applied for on a salvage vehicle. The damage must be fixed and go through an anti theft inspection to make sure the aprts used to fix it were not stolen. It will always retain a salvage title.

for example, in NYS if you buy a car from a salvage or impound auction, the cars will all have a salvage title, damaged or not.

Brad

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm sorry but you guys are generalizing. The rules in your respective states dont always carry on into others. It varies heavily by state. Mississippi and Washington require a rigirous inspection and once the car passes, you get a new title. Also in both states, once the car is ten years old, it can be as twisted and smashed as you please, but it carries a clear title. PA, AZ, and other states are not so leaniant. For example, AZ required the mileage of my 20 year old Mercury Zephyr when I tried to register it, and they also required it to pass a smog inspection (it wouldnt). Mississippi did not even require the mileage of my 1993 Taurus when I registered it this past January. I asked that if I brought a 10+ year old car in with a brand on the title, would it carry over and their reply was "no". I asked that if I had a car nine years old or newer, what would I have to do and they said I'd have to take it through a state inspection and as long as it was safe and legal (mostly if all the lights, etc are there, they dont find major frame damge during the inspection, and if none of the numbers come back stolen) then I could apply for a new title and get one without the salvage brand.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by mike@Sep 3 2004, 01:47 PM
Ok the link said the auction had ended and the high bid was $100, you mean to tell me that someone bought that car for only $100! :eek:
Yes, thats exactly right, the car sold for a wopping $100. Thats what pissed me off, thats why I want my dealers license SO bad so I can get these kinds of deals. Odds are that car will end up sitting in a junk yard and be picked over for the next few years and then crushed. For less than $200 worth of parts, I could have it looking perfect and back on the road again with a new lease on life, lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts