Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
If you get the Fel-Pro permadry neoprene gaskets, those will work just fine. Cork is an amazing material, but IMHO it is a downgrade to neoprene, though it is probably better than standard rubber.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Then there might be something wrong with the instalation. There might be dirt in the way, not properly seating, etc... Check for that.

If that doesnt fix it then lay down some black gasket material in the problem area and it should complete the seal.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
RTV works wonders. I'm not a fan of the older (read: VERY THIN) felpro gaskets, but most modern ones are perfectly fine. Cork gaskets do tend to leak a little, even from a fresh install -- I had them on my Turbo Coupe for the valve covers. Get yourself a good brass brush and clean up the areas where you will be using the rubber/neoprene gasket and then use RTV or gasket maker in the trouble spots like loudsho recommended. None of the parts stores I deal with still carry the problematic cork gaskets, you may find them at really ancient parts stores that are not affiliated with a national chain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts