Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On our 98 duratec, the a/c is working intermittently. From a previous thread it appears this may help. Can someone guide me on how to remove the shim on the a/c? Any special tools? Can this wreck anything and how long will the fix last? Is the "proper" way to fix this is to replace the a/c clutch? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Removing the clutch is found in steps 1 through 3. No need to go further.

The PDF assumes you have pulled the A/C compressor. I believe you can access it on the car, but I haven't done this and couldn't tell you how.

There is a special tool, but you could easily fabricate one with a chunk of 1/4" plywood... or immobilize the pulley with a strap wrench or the poor man's strap wrench, a couple turns of rope, an anchor point and a bar to twist the rope tight. It may be that the serpentine belt will provide enough immobilization of the pulley to get the bolt loose.

If it works, it's the right approach. You're simply positioning a magnetically susceptible steel plate closer to the actuating magnet coil. Until the time that the coil fails altogether (which may be never), the repositioning should work.

I'm guessing, but don't know, that replacing the coil by removing the pulley and coil WILL require removal of the A/C compressor from the car, which means taking the car to an A/C station and having the refrigerant drawn out before tackling the repair.

[attachment=29315:98ACclutch.pdf]

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts