Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you like the new setup of the forums? I, for one, do not. There is no racing forum, and the COTM and events forums are now subforums under Taurus Pride. There is no Fire Pit and no "pictures of our cars" section. I honestly don't know where I should post some of this stuff. It's nice to have separate sections to look at pics of people's cars, or to read about races.

Add reasons why you voted the way you did.

·
Registered
187 Posts
the reason for a whole domain change is beyond me. The layout is the same (except for the bar across the top, which is LONG overdue), and since its the exact same board software, I think its retarted that we need an 'archive'. Import the old data. The last board last a little over a year (nov/02-dec/03), and now we need to start posting our knowledge again?!?

BAH.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I like it. The bar on top with the buttons is a nice little change. I think that the domain change was a good idea--->shorter, easier, more chance of people finding it. Good job!

C

·
0 Posts
Interesting thread. Let me address some of your concerns.

First, the reason some forums are combined into other forums is because we want to be LESS picky about where you post what. The old forums had gotten to the place that they were very segmented. While the regulars knew where to put stuff, anyone newer had a harder time figuring out our system. So post where it seems to fit most. We don't mind. :)

There are a number of important reasons why we changed hosts, some of which are immaterial to this discussion. The reason we archived the old posts is twofold. 1. The old db was huge and error prone. Apparently a previous host's software had damaged the db and it was a constant problem. We couldn't have a stable forum and keep the old db. 2. We didn't want to lose all the old info, so we archived it. Given the situation, I think it's the best way to fix the problem without losing all the old info.

And, as to the domain change, it didn't change.
Part of the package we got with the new host was a domain. It was easier to put this up with the new domain; next we'll redirect the other domain here. So both domains will be for the Taurus Car Club of America.

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I think AdamB deserve a a big "THANK YOU" for all of his hard work in getting the forums up and running on the new server/domain!

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
I like it.
There seemed to be too much "overlap" with the categories in the old forums. I like having the modifications categories up top in the forums, too. As long as the search function covers the archives, I see no reason to dredge up old info just for the sake of having it in the new forums. Of course, my opinion might change when we start seeing the new threads called "What can I do to add cheap HP to my Taurus?" but that will always be a problem no matter what you do. I would like it if moderators would crack down on stupid reposts
, but I'm not trying to criticize.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Yeah I agree good job Adam. Heck I belonged to a collector/ repair Forum that was down for like a month when they changed. The board seems to load quicker for me also. I don't know if it is me , the smaller db or if it is realy faster but its great anyways. I suspect if any problems come up and a real reason is made for new categories it will be done like before. As far as the archive being around thats cool if we can retain them. But when we get new guys it will be hard to direct them to search some old forums without seeming like a**holes. This really is a clean slate. What an opportunity to really improve our club.

D

·
0 Posts
I agree that Adam B has done some strong work here. My hat's off to him for his efforts.

The look while nearly identical to the old one, will continue to change -gradually- as we can finish some fine tuning. As you have mentioned, change can be difficult so we are trying to proceed a little at a time to ease the pain of change. I think after you have got your "muscle-memory" retrained it should go smoother
Most of us are all going through the same process with the site.

Archives may not be the perfect solution but the alternative of losing all the info would certainly be worse. You can always post a link in your current thread to the archive thread you are referring to when you are discussing a topic.

The header and look at the top of the pages will continue to improve as we are able to finish them. This is to make the info in those pages more readily available. In the past they were often overlooked because they were small links found only on the home page. When people simply bookmark the forum page they miss it completely. There is much more available to the site than just the forums, it was just underutilized because people probably just didnt see it. The other info on this site will also continue to expand as we go.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Things I like...

- Much quicker and more reliable.

- Software installed is not beta release.

- The navigation bar and logo.

Things I don't...

- Domain change and abandoning the whole old database altogether a bit too extreme remedy to a web host who cannot properly configure mySQL.

- No racing forum. Who cares if we have trolls coming to flame our racing stories. They can flame all they want IMO.

- No place to post galleries of our cars.

- Too many "subsections" of forums make site slower and harder to navigate as well as drain more bandwidth, it is much easier to reach all forums from the main page.

C

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by saerandy@Dec 6 2003, 04:45 PM
Where do we put maintenence posts? It was one of the largest groups (good 'ole Taurus reliability) 
You put them right here. The Taurus discussion forum.

C

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Twilight@Dec 6 2003, 04:37 PM
- No racing forum. Who cares if we have trolls coming to flame our racing stories. They can flame all they want IMO.

- No place to post galleries of our cars.
Post all that in the Taurus Discussion.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Personally I never did like the idea of sub forums. Too much hassle and adds too many clicks and page loadings. I do not either think that maintenance should be lumped into the Taurus general section. And good riddance to the racing forum. IMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Dec 6 2003, 07:41 PM
Personally I never did like the idea of sub forums.  Too much hassle and adds too many clicks and page loadings.  I do not either think that maintenance should be lumped into the Taurus general section.  And good riddance to the racing forum.  IMHO.
Oh, c'mon Paul! The racing forum helped show us which members knew nothing about cars, maintenance, maturity, and real life. It was very helpful.

C

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by SHOZ123@Dec 6 2003, 07:41 PM
Personally I never did like the idea of sub forums. Too much hassle and adds too many clicks and page loadings. I do not either think that maintenance should be lumped into the Taurus general section. And good riddance to the racing forum. IMHO.
I made a mistake on that. It was misplaced under aftermarket. I moved it to a more visible place

C

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by spifdaddytaurus01@Dec 6 2003, 11:46 PM
I don't like the address is taurusclub.com I like it better
tauruscarclub.com
Sometime next week both will point here.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
- Too many "subsections" of forums make site slower and harder to navigate as well as drain more bandwidth, it is much easier to reach all forums from the main page.[/b]

That's the killer. Too many subsections and not enough of the right kinds. The old forum layout was nearing perfect-- there were parts that were a little "eh," but it was clean and organized. If it could be better reproduced (or it's accessibility recreated), I would brand this new board perfect

·
Registered
411 Posts
Hats off to all that helped it up and running, it is quicker and more reliable. However, I liked the separate racing, maintenance and the Fire Pit.

Like I said before from my last little rant and rave, the Fire Pit is a place to release your fustrations, and get input from our friends, that's right, friends. This is a great place to meet people that share a common interest. I would listen to anybody if they needed me, so would most people on this board. Time to start looking out for each other more.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts